Dense Terrain

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Dense Terrain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eric T Holmes
    Participant

Is there a movement limitation to Dense Terrain?  As a Biologist, I know that there are “mixtures” of terrain involving vegetation and cover.  There are two levels of vegetation when a Biologist describes a wooded area … Overstory and Understory … Overstory happens to be vegetation growth that is usually above 10 feet of the ground surface.  Understory is anything below 10 feet.

While the description of “dense ” terrain limits line of sight, there’s really no description that goes along with its movement penalty.

So, should we be mixing the terrain classifications?

Dense Rough Ground – I’ve seen this throughout the Rocky Mountains and Minnesotan countryside.  We called it ” dense dog hair” which you can’t run through.

Dense Heavy Cover – You truly cannot walk through this it’s so dense, and visions of machete work come to mind.

Dense Light Cover – I’ve seen this throughout the Rocky Mountains and Minnesotan countryside.  We called it “dog hair” and you could run through.

Dense Open Ground – I’d say this is not a viable definition or description.

… and I suppose the scenario would be the determining factor.

YMMV

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Dense terrain is purely a line of sight definition.  Normally, you’d also declare it to be rough ground for a movement effect, but not always – example, smoke is soft cover and dense terrain – it doesn’t affect movement.

There are three things to cover with terrain – Line of sight, cover, and movement.

Does it block LOS?  Does it restrict LOS? (dense terrain) Can you see through it, even if somewhat obscured? (a few bushes giving soft cover but allowing LOS), No effect on LOS and no cover

Soft Cover, Hard cover, or no cover?

Open ground, Rough Ground, Obstacle, Impassable?  Is it different for Infantry, Artillery or Vehicles?

You’re not always going to define a piece of terrain with a single term.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.