Burmese independence army

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Burmese independence army

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Haskeer
    Participant

hi all!

I’m planning on getting a unit of native irregulars for my Japanese (Burma ’44 selector).
    I’ve not much reference material and can’t find any photos on-line that shows how the BIA were dressed or equipped, other than a bit of info saying that they were poorly supported by the Japanese.
    I did originally have in my head that they were equipped and dressed by the Japanese, so had planned just to use Japanese models, all wearing caps so my opponent could identify them, but not so sure now.
    Any ideas for suitable models or advice on uniforms etc. ??

John

Nat
    Participant

To be fair its rare to find native irregulars used by any ‘major'(in UK, US, Japan etc) nation equiped much outside of small arms.

The head hunter tribesmen the British army employed in Malaya in 1950s still worn their native (lack of)dress ….

Paul G. Overend
    Participant

Not being too up on the Burma TO would the Burmese Scouts or Papuan Infantry Battalion figures be a good basis for this force?

Haskeer
    Participant

Thanks both.
    I hadn’t seen the Burmese scouts, Paul, but they compare closely to the Kachin models, so will go with the Kachin unit, replacing the two capped guys with the Burmese scouts models.
    Cheers!

John.

Steven Parillo
    Participant

So, people *do* answer and respond to posts on this forum, That’s good to know.

Steve

Paul Nettle
    Participant

This is the only picture I could find:

According to “The Unforgettable Army” the BIA were used as intelligence gatherers and interpreters, but not militarily as such, being used for guard duties inside Burma. The BIA went over to the allies in 1944, so I guess the irregulars helping the Japenese would not have been in uniform.

Paul Nettle
    Participant

Hmm, the link disapeared.

Hopefully…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.