Buildings vs Ruins

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Buildings vs Ruins

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sgt.saunders
    Participant

Is it true that you have more protection against direct HE projectiles in a ruin than in an intact building?

In the building you get +2 on the hit roll for the down order.

In a ruin you get +2 for the Down Order and +2 for Hard Cover. In addition, in the case of a ruin, you place the template on the unit and determine the hits, while in the case of a building, you roll how many figures you hit. And, most importantly……the house can fall on your head! 🙂

The only thing that is more advantageous in the building is that you are better protected against wounds by +1.

Is that correct or am I doing something wrong?

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

The only thing I see wrong in what you said is that extra protection doesn’t apply vs HE – you don’t even get that benefit.

You’re probably better off hiding behind the rose bushes outside (assuming you’ve agreed soft cover for them) than you are entering the building vs HE.

Arty Gun
    Participant

It’s true you don’t get the hardcover benefit when engaged by HE in buildings. With troops inside buildings, you can go down to make your unit hit on a five, or even a six if it is a small team and half the hits you take. Also, other modifiers affecting the shooting unit such as movement/pins/long range affect the odds of taking a hit.  For small arms, buildings are good because you get plus one to your wound score. The other major difference between buildings vs. ruins is you can run/charge out of a building twelve inches, and ruins one can advance/charge only six inches.  Still some more benefits than hiding behind a rose bush.

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

@Arty Gun – note the ‘vs HE’ at the end of my comment.  Like most tactical decisions, entering the building or not is situational.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.