Brigade Generals Rating 7

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Brigade Generals Rating 7

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant

In a French army which get +2 command modifier for being in attack column, is it a false economy to have a rating of 7 for Bde Generals while having 8 for Div General?

The extra 50 pts will pay for another unit in my 500 pt army.

Big Al
    Participant

Most people I know don’t use points. However, it is up to you. If you want to reduce the command level of your Commanders, you do it. The general thing with command ratings is not to go below 5 or above 9 (except for certain generals like Wellington or Napoleon).

Secondly, the Attack Column only gives a +1 to the command roll, not +2 unless the column is on a road. This is in the main rules. What you are using is the suggested rule, Pas de Charge, in one of the supplements. Since then BP2 has been released and some of the suggested rules in the supplements have been rendered obsolete by the changes made in BP2.

Legere
    Participant

Oh, that’s interesting.  Is Pas de Charge no more then?  I didn’t realise BP2 had invalidated supplement suggested rules, merely that you used them only if you wanted?  If any rule or suggested rules have been ‘rendered obsolete’ it might be useful if an FAQ was published so folks can easily find what they are.

Richard
    Participant

The group I’ve started playing which uses the Pas de Charge rule, I have seen a Youtube where Rick Priestly explains the current books are compatible with BP2, is there a FAQ that explains rules that have been made redundant by BP2?

For me the errors in the books and the misalignment of the rules and the supplements is the main pain point in this game.

Nat
    Participant

Pas de Charge is 2 points per unit, and gives you in effect a limited version of reliable, in it only works if the unit is in assault column, now thats where the issue comes in – as some of the supplements say pas de charge is reliable in assault column, which is the same wording as the BPv2 rule book.   However as you pay points for it we (chelmsford bunker) play that you get to use them both… so yes a French unit in assault column does get +2 to Staff Rating.

As to the Divisional commander, there is no point (outside of Brunswicker 100 days division or if you use the Field Commander suggestion rule) having more that SR7 as they only provide a reroll per turn to a brigade commander in the core rules.  If you are going to use the Higher Commander rules from Clash of Eagles then yes paying the 50 points for SR 8 (as it’ll be 2 re-rolls) might be worth it.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Big Al, it looks like Richard is using BP first edition in which the French were given the Reliable special rule when in attack column. Like you, I prefer to play without the additional +1. Playing with points as Richard is, there ought to be a points cost for this but it was free in BP1.

Richard, the average benefit of the extra +1 staff rating between 7 and 8 for French in column is about 30% further movement each turn, so as Big Al said you pays your money and takes your choice.

Under BP2 the division commander provides rerolls and doesn’t use a staff rating, so oddly it is better to have a free division general at SR7. An anomaly that arises from the removal of points from BP2.

Richard
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, I’ve only started playing using other figures while I get an army sorted and painted. I’m using BP2 rules and I have the CoE book. I’m mainly interested in pickup game that we play in 3-4 hours with 2-3 per side so a points system is very useful. We have been playing that Bde Generals roll on their command rating but also a Div General can issue orders using their rating (with a re-roll available), is this wrong? We use the Div general last as once an order has failed all issuing of orders stop for that turn.

Nat
    Participant

thats a mix of v1 and v2 rules…

in v1 Div Comanders could use their SR to order any unit …

in v2 Div Commanders just provide a single reroll per turn to 1 bde commander that they have joined (so start the turn in 12″ /proximity of)

however v2 also gives you the option of changing your div commanders re-roll to a different skill (IIRC theres 4) one of which is the old v1 rule of being a better bde commander.

Then to complicate things you have the CoE higher command rules, for Corp and higher level commanders, that are like you’re playing… they can order any unit(s) + give a re-roll (or more).

So I think its best to work out what rules you are using before starting…. the club I go to (chelmsford bunker in essex) only picked this game up in May time… a few of us read through the rules and basically put together a house framework to put the v2 rulebook & v1 source books together…. for example CoE has artillery at -8 points to half battery, where as the AT books both have half points… so we’ve gone with all artillery is -8 to downgrade in size.  Another example is the Div Generals can only provide re-rolls… SR =1, SR8 =2 & SR 9= 3

Richard
    Participant

Thanks Nat, our group had a game last night and it was confirmed that Div commander was re-rolls only. I played Bde commander for French infantry @rating 7 and cavalry @ 8, it worked fine only making a difference on one roll all night. The group was amazed as they are used to taking rated 8 generals all the time. Thanks again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.