boltaction.easyarmy issues

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action boltaction.easyarmy issues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fred Brannan
    Participant

1) In the army list book (France and allies) the partisan light anti-tank gun is listed as having a 2-man crew vice the typical 3, while Easyarmy gives it a 3-man crew. Which is correct?

2) Easyarmy shows a +1 modifier when rolling to damage a vehicle with a flamethrower. Where is that rule/modifier found?

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

If easy army differs from the book, and you can’t find an errata to support the difference, assume the book is correct. Easy Army is a third party utility and comes under “tools, not rules” as far as I’m concerned.

France in the same book has the same 2 man team, neither show as corrected/changed in the errata.

Flamethrowers automatically hit the top armour, that will be the +1 but is only applicable vs armoured vehicles (while the pen weapon stat applies vs all targets, pen modifiers from p107 only apply when using heavy weapons vs armoured targets).

akaean
    Participant

Stuart Harrison is correct,
    Easy Army is an exceptional tool, and I am grateful for its existence. Its a quick and intuitive way to build lists, and experiment with different compositions before committing to a purchase.

But there are issues with Easy Army. Its not 100% accurate, and you should always audit your army list with the rulebook prior to attending an event. Easy Army has some issues with unit selections. As certain options are available in the general reinforced platoon that are only actually available in certain theater selectors (Schutzen or US Bazooka Jeep). Always double check with the rulebook to make sure everything is accurate for the theater selector you are using.

At the end of the day, I see too many people accepting Easy Army as gospel. If its on Easy Army, they say, it must be legal. Remember that Easy Army isn’t affiliated with Warlord in anyway. It is helpful and useful and you definitely should use it, but keep in mind that it has no official weight when determining the rules of the game. In any inconsistency between the rules and faqs and easy army, the rules / faqs always win.

Nat
    Participant

Has it been updated with v2 at all? And even against v1 it has errors and omissions (as akaean has pointed out)

No unit from outside of the Armies of books seems to have a book & page reference.

From what I can see with the Soviets, it hasnt…. plus with Fortress:Budapest being out for a couple of months now IF it was going to be updated I’d have said it would have by now….I’ll use it but only if I’ve double checked it with the books

akaean
    Participant

No unit from outside of the Armies of books seems to have a book & page reference.

So there are a few things.
    Units in the main army books are usually provided with a page reference in Easy Army. Those are easy to check.

Units that don’t have page numbers often include things that are on the “Additional Units PDF” which contains legal units that you can draw on. That PDF is still good rules wise, so check there to find something on Easy Army that has your attention. The British Armadillo for instance is on the PDF and Easy Army lists no page number.

That said, the biggest area people get into trouble with Easy Army is whether new units introduced in theater and campaign books are able to be included in a generic reinforced platoon. The unit entry in question must specifically say that they are available to be taken in a generic reinforced platoon. If the unit does not say anything about whether it can be taken in a reinforced platoon, then it is limited to the specific theater selectors that it is listed in. Just because you see something in Easy Army doesn’t mean it is available in a generic reinforced platoon, and it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have restrictions placed on it that they army list needs to comply with to be legal.

The best way to go about auditing a generic reinforced platoon is to make sure you have the appropriate book for all of the units you want to use, including reviewing the additional units PDF. Make sure that any units not included in the “Armies of X” main book states that it is available for selection in a generic reinforced platoon.

Also as others have said, Easy Army is not affiliated with Warlord, and it is maintained by a private person who does this out of the kindness of his heart and love for the game. He is pretty good about updating new books, and I’m sure Fortress:Budapest will get added in due time.

Alan Tibbetts
    Participant

A vehicle that is equipped with a flamethrower suffers a +1 on the vehicle damage table. Page 68, BA 2nd edition rule book.

Alan Tibbetts
    Participant

Easy Army has been slow to add the recent Theater Books, looks like we are on our own for new titles. This is sad and spells the coming of the end for Easy Army.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.