Bolt action infantry base size

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Bolt action infantry base size

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dr Dave
    Participant

So the bases as supplied are 25 mm diameter dics.

I presume that there is nothing to stop me using 20 mm diameter discs?

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Not that I know of. I have used 20mm bases right from the start. My opponents use 25mm bases and there is no great problem.

I have even used 20mm (1/72) figures and vehicles for a very aesthetically pleasing game.

Michael Caelers
    Participant

I would strongly advise against 20mm bases – you should really use 25mm bases to be fair and in keeping with the rules. HE templates, unit spacing rules, etc. are all built around 25mm bases. While not technically impossible, I would not want to play a game with someone using 20mm bases as it would make things very difficult.

invisible officer
    Participant

It’s no big problem. In worst case just use a 25 mm base as template.

If you prefer a 20mm for look or other reasons feel free.  Rule systems come and go but armies stay. 😉

Dr Dave
    Participant

Thanks All. Don’t tell anyone – but I’m not going to use BA. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t going to wreck 300 infantry for future BA use.

Kar98k
    Participant

“Don’t tell anyone – but I’m not going to use BA. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t going to wreck 300 infantry for future BA use.”

Then it doesn’t matter, does it? Just go with what the other rule set suggests.

As for BA basing, as long as all parties are in agreement, then no worries. However, I know that using bases of different sizes can cause a few small issues here and there, but if everyone sticks to a same basing system (i.e. 20mm for your 28mm sized figures), most of this goes away. This doesn’t only just apply to BA, but many other rule systems as well.

And to just repeat what IO said above, “Rule systems come and go but armies stay.”

As a side note, I have played BA with 15mm (aka 1/100) sized figures (on small bases). While the ranges look more aesthetically pleasing, the figures are of course much smaller. That being said, we had no issues playing BA with 15mm figures, but all the figures are based the same. Note: with 15mm figures, the HE template can be potentially more dangerous if you don’t “Spread out… make span!”

richard zamudio
    Participant

Probably already thought about! If you measure from the center of the stand, it will work out ok. I find it interesting that there is no “standard base size for any thing other than infantry bases.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.