Battle of France – Dragon Porte VB Group – unit size

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Battle of France – Dragon Porte VB Group – unit size

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MRenye
    Participant

Hi all,

The latest rules errata on page 25 (3-Feb-2020), states that the French VB Group is comprised of 1 NCO, and 3 men.

Weapons are listed as “Rifles with VB launchers

120 Points

Q1 – Is there any option to increase the unit size (I would assume 30 points per additional “Regular” man if allowed)?

Q2 – Does the NCO also count as being armed with a VB?

Before the FAQ was released, I managed to field a unit of 1 NCO and 4 VB armed men.

It was a very effective little firebase that managed to drop a fair amount of smoke, and also kill 1 or 2 enemies and nicely pin that unit.

But I could see how a much larger unit could be a little TOO effective, so the size limitation is likely deliberate.

Many thanks!

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

1. No.  Nothing stops house rules if you negotiate it with your opponent but if nothing in the entry allows you to add more men – by the rules, no more men.

2.  The weapons line applies to all models in a unit entry unless specifically stated otherwise.  Nothing different is stated for the NCO so he is armed as per the rest of the unit.

Paul Nettle
    Participant

Please forgive my ignorance, but on which page of “Armies of France and the Allies” is the VB group described?  It seems far more historical than issuing one per squad.

MRenye
    Participant

The VB Group is found in the “Battle of France” Campaign book. Page 85.

There are a number of additional units that are added, including the VB, but also more options for the Dragons Porte, Intelligence Squads, Engineers, Officer Cadets, etc, and more AMC variants.

Paul Nettle
    Participant

Many thanks, I have looked it up.  It is a shame it is just the Dragons Porte can do that, becuase I belive normal paltoons did that too.  I only have ordinary platoons, not Dragona Portes, but I believe some companies do Dragons Portes troops which sadly Warlord Games don’t.

MRenye
    Participant

I agree on the point that most units should be allowed the option to split off their VB’s.

As to Dragons Porte, I use the normal Warlord French models. There are other manufacturers as you say, but I don’t think they are quality enough to buy.

And the other company have chosen the shorter coat as opposed to the long jacket since I believe they are trying to model them as motorcycle troops?

I believe the uniforms of other DP units (in carrier or trucks) was very similar to the regular French uniform (from my reading), which is why I just use those.

MRenye
    Participant

Thanks.

Before the FAQ was released it was not clear on the unit size which is why I went with the five man section (1 NCO+4)

I do believe a larger unit would be a little excessive historically as well as perhaps unbalanced.

And I choose to have four units of other Dragons Porte from which to pull those VB’s for reassignment.

Thanks again!

Paul Nettle
    Participant

Thanks for your research – I found pictures of Dragons Porte frustratingly difficult to find.  But it might be fun to do a motorcycle unit to add to my French – despite already haveing all six infantry squads.  I shall have to finish the Vichy French desert army first though.

HellRaiser 7
    Participant

Thanx for posting the VB question. I have a pretty big Early War French Army and haven’t used any VBs cause didn’t think they would be effective. Now I think I’m going to have field a VB unit. Especially with throwing smoke out there.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by HellRaiser 7. Reason: Misspelling
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.