Austrian Napoleonic

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Austrian Napoleonic

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    arcole
    Participant

I am thinking of collection an Austrian Napoleonic army, circa 1813/1814. Unfortunately they are not covered in any of the suplements. Does anyone have a suggestions on the rules to apply to an Austrian force?

Many thanks in advance

A.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Arcole – it’s interesting that such a major force in the wars doesn’t have a supplement yet.  There have been some plastics out for Austrians for a bit now and so with more figures on the table I expect we’ll see some unofficial lists from people soon.  My own view is probably biased by being brought up on Bruce Quarrie’s Napoleon’s Campaigns in Miniature, but it’s a starting point!

So my thoughts, based on Quarrie are: the Austrian line were slower and a bit worse than French line, but in large units. Austrian Grenadiers were very good – not quite as good as Middle Guard. Jaegers were very good, at least as good as Voltigeurs if not a touch better.  Austrian Cavalry were as good as French, with the Austrian Cuirassiers and Hussars being a touch better than the French. Austrian Artillery not as good as the French.  In general Austrian command was a bit poor and they were slow, so perhaps a few more command ratings of 7.

invisible officer
    Participant

I agree 99%.

But would rate the Jäger much higher than Voltigeurs. They are the original Riflemen, not the Sharp copy.  😉

Voltigeurs are equal to the Light infantry battlions- And the Grenzer are a mix between Light and Line.  By 1814 all the areas lost to France had been recovered and the new recruits hated the French a lot.

Not to forget, 1813/14 the French lacked good horses.  Too many lost. So Cuirassoers are much better than French at that late date. And all otheres at least equal.

arcole
    Participant

Hi,

I have found further information. I ordered a digital copy of “A Clash of Eagles” book, which covers 1812 has stats and lists and rules for the Austrians and includes units such as Cuirassiers whch were not present for completion.

They give the commanders the same stats as other nations (e.g. 7 or 8 for a brigade).  However the Austrian Commanders have tighter restrictions on the ability to issue orders to multiple units in one go. There are also limits on infantry’s ability to use initiative. All told most of it looks fairly reasonable.

One interesting point is that where Austrians have the “mixed” order ability they are weaker than the French.

The only thing that is missing really is the Landwher. It says they are included but they seem to be missing! I beleive that Albion 2 has Prussian Landwhere so will have a look at those.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Archie – great to hear that there are some stats in Clash.  I don’t know much about the Austrian Landwehr, but I’d guess they were worse than the line.  In the Prussian army the Landwehr were fairly efficient by 1815, and I don’t know if the Austrian Landwehr reached this level.  Perhaps IO has some more info?

invisible officer
    Participant

The Austrian Landwehr Jäger are of similar quality to the Prussian Freiwillige Jäger.  Similar background, being middle class volunteers. Including some Jewish officers and men.

The ordinary Landwehr was brave but long not trusted by the authorities. They feared insurrection.But 1809 the Landwehr  did a good show. Good enough that Napoleon demanded disbandment. It was done but the government kept the lists.

Being intended from 1811 on as 4th Battalions of regular regiments. There they fought well, being in fact the same human material. Just being lucky not to be conscripted to regulars before.

From 1813 another was formed as depot.

Not to forget the Freikorps, in 1814 the Austro-German Legion was made from Germans deserting the French. In Austrian service most served well. The two Legion cavalry regiments are in fact the former 1st and 2nd Westphalian Hussars, French trained.

arcole
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. I have now started to work out a list to collect. This brings me to the question of Uhlans. Could the Polish Lancers be used to proxy for them?

Regards

A.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.