Austrian Abteilung Rule

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Austrian Abteilung Rule

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

Where is this rule located? I’ve been scouring the Clash of Eagles book & can’t find it.  Thanks.

Nat
    Participant

CoE page 71 2nd paragraph under the Cavalry heading…. … it allows you to split any unit with that rule to smaller units.

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

Thanks Nat.

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

OK, I went to CoE and read the paragraph that Nat referenced.  I’m still confused:

1. How many smaller units can be formed (CoE states two, three, or four – pretty nebulous)

2. What are the stats for the smaller units, specifically Hand-to-Hand value and Stamina?

arcole
    Participant

An Abteilung looses 4 H2H and 2 stamina compared to a large unit. It is also 16 points cheaper than the large unit.

C0E page 71. Each cavalry regiment with the Abteilung rule can be replaced by 2 3 or 4 Abteliungs. Here is the actual text:

Because of this common ‘Abteilungsweise’ employment of splitting up regiments into detachments, we allow Austrian regiments to be played as either a single regiment of 3-4 squadrons as normal, or else as two, three or even four Small sized Abteilung of the same cavalry regiment.

So, if you take the light cavalry brigade on page 180,  it starts of with a minimum of 1 large cavalry regiment. This can be down graded to a standard or small sized regiment, or be replaced with 2-4 Abteilungs (which have the same stats as a small regiment. The brigade can then add 1 more  light cavalry regiment with the same options. The brigade can add 3rd regiment (of dragoons). The Dragoons can only se can be upgraded as large or small units but cannot have abteilungs

Hope that is clear.

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

Big help Arcole, thanks.

Seems like a pretty powerful rule that required a bit of forensic reconstruction to put all the pieces together.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.