3 moves more common than 2

Home Forums Historical Black Powder 3 moves more common than 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

This is something I have already noticed as a newbie player.

“3 move orders” are going to occur more than “2 move orders”.  This is simply based on the fact that 2 occurs only when you roll exactly 2 less than needed whereas 3 occurs on 3 under, 4 under, 5 under, 6 under…

This strikes me as very strange. Anyone else noticed this? I wonder if any supplement suggests making it a bit harder to get a “3 move”?

Nat
    Participant

You need some benefit for spending (Napoleonic suplements) 25 points per pip of Staff Rating….

plus dont forget that you need to spend a ‘move order’ to change formation and there’s no pre-measuring or stating I’ll move x”s forward its Y unit will go to Z location then change formation / hold ground /unlimber etc etc.**.. so even with 3 moves will you get the unit to where you said?  Or will it reach the location at the start of their 3rd move then not be able to change formation?

Then you get the average of 2D6 is 7… which is the free staff rated commander!   So on average rolls you get 2 moves IF you’ve spent 50 points for an SR 9 brigade commander….

**EDIT – yes there is!

Big Al
    Participant

This is why most players give their Generals a command rating of 8 and the brigade commanders a rating of 7 and occasionally 6. It is also why the alternative rules for commander traits work well.

Also, don’t forget that the command roll is subject to modification. If a unit is further than 12 inches away from the commanding officer, there is a -1 to the result. If the unit is further away, that modifier increases by an additional 1 for every 12 inches. If you are issuing the order to a group of units (brigade) then you must measure the distance to the unit that is furthest away and apply the distance modifiers to the roll.

Further, if there is an enemy within 12 inches of the unit receiving the order, there is a -1 To the result

On top of that, there are some Special Rules that Units May have that can modify the command roll as do certain formations and conditions.

So, while it is possible to get the results you have mentioned, it is not that likely once you apply all of the rules.

Big Al
    Participant

Nat you are incorrect. There is pre measuring allowed! There is no rule that states that a player cannot premeasure anything.

Also, in regard to the example of an order, you can do exactly that. If you don’t premeasure, you won’t know how many moves your order will require, but it won’t make it any less valid. You can still give the order and just carry out as much of it as you are able.

What you cannot do is put a condition into your order. You cannot say “X will advance and if it reaches location A will change formation, otherwise will do something else”. The order must be clear and exact. You can say “unit A will advance over the hill and charge enemy in sight”.

Nat
    Participant

sorry, got myself confused on game systems!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.