Withstanding the brutal winter conditions, the new Soviet HQ rally their men for the next charge!
Like the soldiers they commanded, many Soviet officers were inexperienced and lacked training at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War. Stalin’s ruthless purge of officers of the Red Army in 1937 had denuded the organisation of leadership and left deep scars in the survivors’ minds.
Throughout the war, showing initiative was seen as a dangerous trait, and most Soviet officers would follow their orders to the letter even if they meant marching their men to certain death. Soviet operational leadership improved immeasurably over time, but the heavy casualties endured by the Red Army indicates that overall battlefield control remained a blunt instrument.
Soviet Zima Force
After the rapid collapse of the Soviet defences against the German blitzkrieg, Stalin sought to reinforce his lines with veterans from the East. Their vast combat experience proved invaluable when holding off the Axis forces, and acted as a sturdy and resolute core for the Soviet army.
Stalin has high hopes for this task force, it contains everything a Soviet commander needs! It has:
- The new Soviet HQ (Winter) blister pack
- The new Soviet Maxim MMG team (Winter) blister pack
- The new Soviet ZIS-3 divisional gun (Winter) blister pack
- The new Soviet ZIS-2 anti-tank gun (Winter) blister pack
- The new Soviet 82mm medium mortar team (Winter) blister pack
- A Siberian Squad box set
- A Soviet Scout squad blister pack