Yellow & Red Turn Ratings

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Yellow & Red Turn Ratings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lincolnlog
    Participant

So XL & Merchies have a turn of 30′ per move, and can’t turn after a third move. All other ships have a 45′ turn, hmmmmm. This means a third rate with a 4″ movement, can turn inside a frigate. True, it won’t get as far before and after each turn, but this seems like maybe there should have been an Orange turn of perhaps 38′?

We’ve discussed this at some length locally. We feel this is the only broken mechanic in the game.

I would would like to get Warlords logic behind this. But also wonder what others think about this.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Actually after considering this a little longer, 1 & 2nd rates are almost turning inside 3rd rates.

A first rate moves 3 and then turns 30′. A 3rd rate moves 4 and turns 45′.

Steve Burt
    Participant

If you want more realistic turning, divide the total move by 3 and always allow 3 turns. So a frigate at full sails moves 5″ between turns, at battle sails it moves 3″ and at light sail it moves 2″. That way slow moving ships can turn faster than faster moving ones.

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, like in all games there is a lot of simplification here.

Historical some 1st rates had been faster sails than most other vessels, HMS Victory was well known as a very fast ship with superb turning ability.

Nelson’s 64 gun Agamemnon won races against most frigates.

But following long service it became slow, weak in the hull and with Long beards of sea grass.

Bob D
    Participant

long beards of sea grass.

I am betraying the fact that I am a landlubber, but I found this expression wonderfully evocative 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.