WWI Bolt Action

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action WWI Bolt Action

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Charles
    Participant

Thought I’d share something I put together a few years ago as a supplement to allow WWI gaming with the Bolt Action rules. We played them a few times locally, and they seem to work well. Let me know if you try them out.

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, a good supplement with a lot of work but hardly making BA into a true flavour WW I game.  Creeping barrage and bombing infantry tactics dominated the war 1917/18 so much that the BA based rules will not have the feeling.

It was not just a war of other dress, less tanks  and with gas.

The MP 18 is iconic, it should have pistol range and rate of fire between auto rifle and LMG.

The troop lists, hmmmm.   For example  “British” only on MK IV would be wrong. Of the ca. 100 German used tanks some 4/5 had been kindly supplied by HM forces in working condition.  Same with most other stuff, all WW I armies used captured material.  I have for example a copy of the German handbook on  use of captured MG .  Allies used German Minenwerfer and Germans the Stoke in large numbers.

Wire should not be cleared so easy by pioneers. Artillery had little effect on it and so the combo wire / MG was deadly for attackers. Esp. if stuck in bombing range.

The German successes in 18 are caused by the Bruchmüller tactics, hardly possible to recreate in a BA style game.  A BA based game works only well in the few moving phases of WW I.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.