Use of Bases

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas Use of Bases

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    arcole
    Participant

Hi,

Just asking for opinions. Does anyone use bases on the boats? Any recommendations on size?

Thanks

Fitzwalrus
    Participant

Yes, I am putting all my boats on 1/8″ plywood bases, and my torpedo markers on posterboard bases as well. First, this cuts down on people handling the models directly, and it also makes movement and turning easier to do. I measure movement from the rear of the base (not the front of the model, as in the rules) and then just use that rear corner as the swing point for the turn. I put my torpedo markers on 10mm x 30mm posterboard bases as having a straight base edge to work with makes it easier to ensure the torps move straight ahead when they move.
    My Vospers and US PTs are on 1 5/8″ by 4″ bases; my E-boats are 1 5/8″ x 5 1/4″, and my R-boats and Fairmiles will be on 1 5/8″ x 5 1/2″ bases. I try to leave about 1/2″ all around the model for wave effects and standardize as much as possible. As I move on to larger models the bases sizes will increase as well.

elcee
    Participant

I don’t use bases, so far i had no problems.
    If i would i think i would go for a similar thickness of the bases as Fitz, thinner bases would (i guess) not improve (? subjective) the handling.

Mark Stanoch
    Participant

I have only played a few intro scenario games and found that it was no problem playing with unbased Miniatures. However, if I was to base them I would use clear acrylic bases so that the sea game mat shows through.

arcole
    Participant

The main thing I am thinking of for bases is to provide extra protection during travelling. applying magna-base to the underside would provide an extra level of protection.

invisible officer
    Participant

If you use the warlord models “out of the box” bases are not necessary.
    But if you add details like reeling bases are a must.

elcee
    Participant

The main thing I am thinking of for bases is to provide extra protection during travelling. applying magna-base to the underside would provide an extra level of protection.

There are only few parts sticking out to the side that need protection, the antennas and other on top are much more fragile, which are harder to protect. Some models, like the british trawler, i transport on their side, in a fitting foam tray, a base would be counterproductive in this case.

Niall
    Participant

For transport I have used self-adhesive steel paper on the base of my models and magnetic basing in the boxes I use for transport.

arcole
    Participant

If you use the warlord models “out of the box” bases are not necessary.

I am using RMI. The MAS boats are metal, so unlike the plastic boats they are going to have some weight behind them if they start moving.

I have got some steel paper, so will look at using that with magnetic sheets in the carrying box.

invisible officer
    Participant

My answer was made for base use in game, not transport.
    Naturally you need something in the transport box to protect the models.
    But without reeling and antennas some foam may be enough. The Warlord models are sturdy enough.

In Cocktail Shaker style transport even bases and steel paper will not help. 😉

All my ships get bases for gaming. Too much stuff added. Clumsy fingers…….

Chris Salander
    Participant

I don’t use bases for the ships, but I strongly recommend them for the torpedoes. The biggest struggle I see in the game is trying to set and maintain the correct angle of a torpedo. Having them on rectangular bases with straight edges makes it SO much easier to angle and move the torpedoes.
    You can’t angle them against a ship base, though. It shifts the torpedo too much sideways, throwing off the torpedo’s path.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.