Unlipped vs Lipped Bases

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Unlipped vs Lipped Bases

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Heather
    Participant

Accepting that there are some that choose to use third party bases, but for those that don’t, why are there unlipped 25mm round bases.

The plastic infantry boxes come with unlipped 25mm bases.
    All bases of other shapes and sizes are lipped.
    The 25mm bases that come with metal figures are lipped

What is the reason?

Is it really to save a few pence, although, surely that would be offset by the cost of carrying an additional, potential nugatory product line?

Or is there some more functional reason?

Cheers,

Nigel

Eric Fontaine

Way back when the old sets where made off site by a third party and WG was growing there where old, green flat bases, based on community feedback, basing materials and design changes those where changed to the new design. Generally speaking only the old kits still come with the none lipped bases, but fear not, eventually the molds wear out for the old plastics and stocks disappear, and maybe, just maybe new toys arrive.

Nigel Heather
    Participant

Thanks Eric,

Are these 25mm bases sold on your website lipped or unlipped, it doesn’t say either way and the photo is too fuzzy to be sure.

Cheers,

Nigel

harryb
    Participant

I now prefer clear bases it saves you re basing material to the mat colour. Plus they can go inside buildings without looking strange.

Ultravanillasmurf
    Participant

I have to admit I prefer the lipped bases where the figure has a base (such as metal figures) and unlipped bases where you are gluing the feet to the base.

Graham
    Participant

I use washers it gives the fig weight, so if I drop them (and I do ) they land on their feet and rarely break weapons

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.