Units in transport at setup

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Units in transport at setup

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by Nat.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wAbout
    Participant

We are going to play scenario 4 today, and I started to wonder how transport and units in those will dealt with in setup step.

– In general, can you even deploy transports in setup (where units start on a table) or has it to be left in reserve (since there is no first wave in this scenario)?

– If you can deploy them, follow up question; when you place transport on the table as part of setup, are you taking also dice on transported units from the bag or are those left in there for now? Are these transported units’ dice even put there in a first place (since they really cannot do anything during setup)?

Nat
    Participant

Transport units are a unit and therefore ALL the normal deployment rules apply.

– So yes they can be deployed either on the table or in Reserve as you see fit.
    -They provide an order die… the only die NOT placed in the bag for deploying are those that have forward deployment (which are done in the same way but after standard deployment units have been deployed) so they must be placed in the bag….

when you say they cant do anything during setup…???  They are a unit and are deployed the same as any other unit, the only difference is that you can then deploy other units inside it.

They are useful for putting down early during deployment when you have more order die than your opponent to make sure you know where their big /heavy hitters are so you can deploy your counters after.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Nat.
    wAbout
    Participant

Thx, this helped a lot! What I meant by “cannot do anything during setup” is that they are inside that transport and cannot be deployed elsewhere. Of course from turn one they can dismount and so on.

So basically if I have truck with 3 inf squads in it and they are part of my setup/deployment force, I put 4 dice in bag for them. When I pull dice during initial deployment, I can give down orders for those unit in truck first, hence delaying trucks deployment if I want to, correct?

Nat
    Participant

You have a truck + 3 teams = 4 dice in the bag for units waiting to be deployed.

When you pull a die to deploy you can choose what unit to deploy – until this point the unit is NOT in the truck, it is separate deployment… So yes, you can deploy a team into the truck when the truck is still waiting to be deployed….

You may see that you dont want to deploy any of your teams in the truck this game even though last game you put all 3 teams in the one truck.  Or you could put 2 in and leave the third elsewhere depending on the situation on the table.

NOTE i’ve used teams in the example as squads are normally 5-15 men and most trucks have a capacity of 12.

Now IF you deploy the teams into the truck and place the truck in reserve then yes on turn 1 you can issue the DOWN order to units on the truck or the truck in any order you like.  During deployment you dont issue orders to anything.  You are just pulling order die from the bag to decide who (which player) has to deploy a unit.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Nat.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.