TYW Protestant-Swedish Army

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte TYW Protestant-Swedish Army

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Corso
    Participant

After a slow and short start two years ago, I decided to start again. The military aspect of thirty years war has always interested me and with a sizeable Catholic-Imperialist army done, it’s time to go for the Protestant side. It won’t be a pure ‘swedish’ army because only a small percentage of swedes made up the protestant armies – the bulk were germans. I’ll follow historical accuracy as much as possible.

I’m going for a 180mm frontage for all units and use the infantry combined formation option in the supplement To Kill A King. I’ll tweak the infantry options in the Swedish and protestant lists to suit the combined status. Cavalry and combined regiments will have a depth of 80mm, battleline units 60mm. Each unit will be made of three bases each frontage of 60mm, artillery one base with frontage of 60mm. The extra space will help in the basing of models as miniatures like some of the metal musketeers, wouldn’t fit on a 20mm base. Each unit will be made of three bases each frontage of 60mm, artillery one base with frontage of 60mm. Commanders, as shown, based on a 60mm round base.

The first commander done is Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar, a really fascinating character. Having fought for the protestant cause for years under Mansfeld, Christian iv of Denmark and also with the Dutch. He was given his first independent command by Gustaf Adolf. Fractious and ambitious he ended up serving France, taking with him some of the most famous units like the Yellow Infantry Regiment. But he became like Wallenstein, a dangerous entrepreneur who could easily blackmail his employer, and his death may have been an assassination ordered by Richelieu.

Bernhard is made from the Prince Rupert miniature. His standard bearer is a Harquebusier with a Swedish officer arm from the Swedish infantry kit. I had originally done the models two years ago but repainted certain areas, replaced the standard bearer’s horse and completely rebased the command stand. The banner shows two of the colours of Bernhard on which a B monogram is placed – something to satisfy his ego!

Attachments:
    Rough Rider
    Participant

Fantastic stuff Corso! With a 60mm wide frontage per base, how many minis per base are you thinking of?

invisible officer
    Participant

Lovely Bernhard, well done

Corso
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback!

@RR – cavalry 3 models per base. Tried them and they fit. They wouldn’t be 100% abreast but no need for that. Infantry depends, 12 pikes including command or 9 muskeeters for combined units (depth 80mm). For battleline units 4-6 models per base (depth 60mm). Skirmisher Horse 2-3 models, skirmisher foot 4-5 models. Got the idea from a blog of a guy who does medievals.

Bill
    Participant

good stuff … and great history lesson.

Rough Rider
    Participant

cavalry 3 models per base. Tried them and they fit. They wouldn’t be 100% abreast but no need for that. Infantry depends, 12 pikes including command or 9 muskeeters for combined units (depth 80mm). For battleline units 4-6 models per base (depth 60mm). Skirmisher Horse 2-3 models, skirmisher foot 4-5 models.

That should look really good.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Lovely command base, Corso. The standard really sets it off. Will be following your progress with much interest as I’m also starting to collect Swedes and Imperialists for TYW.

Corso
    Participant

Thanks guys

A new addition – a light gun. There were many variants under the category ‘light gun’, mainly used for close support of infantry. I used the kit as it is, only substituting one crewman, the one ramming the ramrod with another ramrod crew from the saker kit. I did that because it wouldn’t fit on that base, but for heavier guns I would use larger bases so he’ll fit there. The barrel is a bit bright, maybe I’ll darken the colour.

A note on markings – the crew all have blue scarfs/hat bands, but there is no written evidence that blue was used as field sign/colour by the protestant/swedish army in 1632. That is a misconception derived from the blue colour of the swedish three-crown flag. The earliest recorded use of blue was at the battle of Jankow in 1645. For the army I’ll use any colour except red on sashes, hat bands and so on, since red was the recognized field sign for the Imperialists in 1632. I’m using the year 1632 as my target year to match my Catholic-Imperialists.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Lovely artillery piece. The supplied crew guy with the rammer is tricky to fit on the base, so understand your desire to swap it. It looks big for a ‘light’ piece, but I guess that will scare the Imperialists more 🙂 .

Your understanding on scarves for the Swedes sounds like what I was planning. I think for my blue regiments I might use green sashes, just to have some contrast 🙂 .

Rough Rider
    Participant

Good stuff Corso. I hope to start my first piece of artillery for my Royalists soon.

invisible officer
    Participant

Very nice Vignette.

The “Feldbinde” / scarf of Swedish officers is recorded in contemporary German sources in many colors. Often green, sometimes yellow. Even black. But in that case for an officer with a lot of gold wire so it may be named “yellow”

We should not forget that “Feldgeschrei” / battle cry and other signs like sprigs at hat got used too.
    There had been no uniforms. But some regions had special cuts or headdress.

Corso
    Participant

Finished the first protestant combined regiment. It took me about two weeks to finish them – in this terrible heat it wasn’t easy. But when I see the whole unit arrayed like this there is a feeling of satisfaction – though I still have a lot to do!

Is this the mercenary Orange Regiment? No. The Orange Regiment’s flags are reputed to be different (red-orange field with golden laurel design) though there is no 100% proof since the orange ones shown by Mohner are for ‘Vitzhtum von Eckstadt’s regiment’. There were several colonel Vitzthum in protestant service. There were even two other Vitzthums, August and Christian, who were Imperial officers! The engraving of the storming of Frankfurt-on-the-Oder in 1631 is one of the last in which colour regiments are shown by their respective colours. Thereafter they were identified by their commanding officer, like the rest of the regiments. Brzezinski suggests that it was because the flags were becoming tatters and not recognisable. I think another reason might be that there were multiple coloured regiments and to avoid confusion the Colonel’s name would be used. As far as I know there is no evidence that the orange regiment ever had orange uniforms – coloured regiments were usually (but not always, like the yellow and blue) mentioned by the colour of their flags.

So what does this unit represent? One of the many german regiments that fought for the protestant side. Let’s call them a ‘generic regiment’ that for battle represent a regiment which we have no information of flags and uniforms – which is the majority of the foot regiments!

For the flags, which are ‘invented’, I used a trend in protestant flags – usually two colours would be chosen and these two colours were shown by geometric designs, icons on background (as these) and/or with mottos, usually in Latin or German. Close association with the Swedish army meant that some flags had the G.A.R.S. letters or a G monogram to honour Gustav Adolf. Images might have meaning – for example the moon and stars might represent light in darkness.

The regiment is made up of a mix of plastic and metal miniatures from the warlord games pike and shotte range. The musketeers are shown in three ranks, the back rank loading, the middle rank ready and the front rank firing. Pikemen are all plastic ones with metal ‘dutch’ helmets. The regiment commander is an officer from the Command Group 4 blister. They wear dark orange coats with light blue garters and feathers using the flag colours. The fifer and ensigns are from the plastic command sprue with better clothing than their men. The sergeant on the left is from the plastic sprue with a glaive from the perry mercenaries box instead of the usual halberd. The one on the right is from the covenanter box with a halberd from the Landsknecht with double-handed weapons box.

For gaming I’ll use the combined units rule in ‘To Kill a King’. I’ll tweak them to represent better or weaker units. Pondering what to do next, so many choices………….

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Another beautiful regiment, Corso. Love the coats and Colours. A fine addition to he Protestant forces. How about some commanded shot to support your cavalry?

invisible officer
    Participant

Lovely addition and a nice Background.

David
    Participant

Great job!! Like the history.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.