Torpedo Rules

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea Torpedo Rules

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Peter
    Participant

I do not understand the torpedo rules. In both the quick start and full rules, the use of torpedoes is to me useless. Case in point: start at 4+, extreme range -2, large silhouette +1, weapon is a -2. torpedo. This equals -7 (no hits).

Another example, 4+, long range -1 weapon is a torpedo -2. Same as above.

If you are only to use the-2, then why are there inches for all the range bands (point, short, long and extreme)?

Any thoughts?

Nat
    Participant

Torpedoes use all the mods.

Yes that means torpedoes at long range will only hit if you are in the targets port or starboard arc.  However if you are playing with costal terrain you can have a ship runaground (stationary +1).  So in theory a torpedo at point blank range can in the right cirumstances hit a ship on a D6 roll of a 1!  (1 + large shiloute, + stationary + point blank).

When you consider that all torpedoes are devastating and can sink any ship in 1 hit (with the right dice).

– Roll to Hit, Devastating is D6 Hull damage with a natural 5 or 6 giving a 50/50 chance of a crit!

Side point its D6 + all modifiers to equal or beat the target score (normally 4)

Brandon Wilson
    Participant

I had a question specifically about Long-Lance torpedoes.

In the beginning of the section for the IJN fleet, it says that “Any ship with the Slow-Loading trait for their Long-Lance torpedoes may only reload them once during the entire battle” (pg 233). How is this different from Slow-Loading for other torpedoes? Slow-Loading trait specifically says that “Ships with Slow-Loading torpedoes may only reload once, after which they may no longer be used” (pg 49).

I guess what I’m asking is why this needs to be called-out specifically for Long-Lances when it has already been defined.

Nat
    Participant

No its not different, its repeated because of the torpedo fan rule on the same page which uses up a load. (& yes I agree there’s no need for it to be there)

Peter
    Participant

Thank you for your response Nat. this still does not answer my previous query about modifiers.

Shrokins
    Participant

Peter, I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking, but I’ll take a crack at answering it. Using the -2 modifier for torpedoes, torpedoes can hit targets at all range bands, and all range bands are different, hence, all the range bands are included. At extreme range, a torpedo can still hit ships that are stationary and silhouetted (4+2+2-1-1=6 to hit). At long range, a torpedo can hit ships that are stationary or silhouetted (4+2+1-1=6). At short range, a torpedo can hit ships that are neither on a 6. At point blank, a torpedo can hit them on a 5.

Nat
    Participant

@Shrokins – Correct

@Peter
    – because the way the rules are written you have an extreme range on all weapons, and all other bands are derived from that…. and like in real life weapons have a theoretical range than is far longer than the effective range. (Ie an infantrymans rifle… used at ranges 3-400m’s … can in theory hit a human sized target at 8-900, but anything beyond 600 requires a very good shot IIRC)

Peter
    Participant

Therefore as stated in my first query, torpedoes are useless in the game.

Shrokins
    Participant

I’d say torpedoes are the deadliest weapon in the game! I think if you play a few matches you’ll see that ships can and do close to short range, especially destroyers, and that devastation results. Destroyers and cruisers can torpedo a battleship or fleet carrier off the table in a single attack. Ignore torpedoes at your fleet’s peril!

invisible officer
    Participant

Shrakins and Nat are 100 % right.

The chances are roughly based on real world ones or even better.

Take for example 3. Schnellboot Flottille in med. from 9/40 to 1/45.

184 Torpedoes fired at warships 22 hits           1 hit in 8,3 fired   With a D6 ………

53 at merchant ships   13 hits

11 at stationary ships  3  hits ! ( Hitting sandbars etc.)

In game  your chances are better than in real world but nobody thought them useless in WW II.

Nat
    Participant

Love how someone has looked at the rules and gone useless here yet in the wardroom people are going they need nerfing as they are too deadly!

😝

Brandon Wilson
    Participant

*deleted comment. wrong thread. apologies*

Eumerin
    Participant

I’d say torpedoes are the deadliest weapon in the game! I think if you play a few matches you’ll see that ships can and do close to short range, especially destroyers, and that devastation results. Destroyers and cruisers can torpedo a battleship or fleet carrier off the table in a single attack. Ignore torpedoes at your fleet’s peril!

Agreed. Torpedoes are the reason why the Mogami-class cruisers in the starter cost more than twice as much as USS Portland. No, you shouldn’t necessarily rely on a torpedo hit. But your opponent *cannot* afford to ignore the possibility that one of your destroyers will slip through his screen and get off a successful torpedo shot against one of his capitol ships. Because if that happens, it’s gonna hurt.

Jaesen
    Participant

Torpedoes take planning and tricksiness to use.  You have to get up close, and take the risks inherent in getting that close.

Destroyers and Cruisers are using their speed and a few judiciously utilized Evade orders to get in close and be ready to pounce (as first activation on a non-Evade) if you happen to win initiative.

Granted, your rolls are still going to be suboptimal, and likely shooting into a Torpedo Belt too, but I’ve found torpedoes fun and challenging to use, and a great thematic way to fight.

boomboom517
    Participant

I do think the torpedo rules are missing a +1 bonus of British air dropped torpedoes, British torpedo bombers used a wire real that resulted in a consistent level drop, virtually every photo has had this edited out to maintain secrecy, which allowed for a 50%+ hit rate a Toronto compared to the much lower rate at pearl harbour by the Japanese. Pearl Harbour with British tech would have been much deadlier and that’s before you add British doctrine which would have forced the US back to San-Francisco for a significant period.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.