Too hard to paint Epics

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Too hard to paint Epics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

I got some Napoleonic Epics and tried painting them. But found my eyes could not cope. I tried using a 1.75 x magnifier and still hard. They just don’t look right, what details I painted become so small as to just merge into a mess.

I used to paint 6mm and those seemed easier — I think its because  Epic scale is small but still large enough to demand lots of details?  I was hoping I could get away with the essential colours, then throw a load of ink shade over them and they would magically gain depth.

I have painted all eras and all scales for years and year. This is the first time I have been beaten. Not sure what to do…

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, You gave te answer yourself.

“…..for years and year…”

I’m sure You use the standards with small scales,  like much stronger color differences than in reality.    The merge in a mess  thing can be seen with 1/1 scale real items at a distance. A 15 mm is like a real human in a long distance.

I’m lucky, even with 60 I need no optical aids.   But some of my friends got the problems decades ago.

SteveT
    Participant

For anyone who might be having similar problems, the best approach I found was black undercoat, then blocking colours on afterwards.

Results were quite acceptable even to a critical like me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.