Thoughts on using Spanish guerrillas

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Thoughts on using Spanish guerrillas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    richard zamudio
    Participant

Since the guerrillas did have some impact on the Peninsular conflict, I thought it might prove of interest as how to field them in Black Powder. A guerrilla band could be an odd number of figures, say 5 to 8. They might be mounted on bases larger than a regular stand. The guerrillas would not have any shooting abilities; they would only stop an enemy regiment for one turn. At the end of the turn, the stand/stands of guerrillas stopping an enemy regiment would be removed from play. It would take two guerrilla stands to stop the enemy regiment. The British/Spanish player only needs to place the guerrillas in front of the enemy regiment. There would be no cost for using the guerrillas, however, the British/Spanish would only get guerrilla bands based on a 2D6 dice role. Any thoughts as to these ideas? This would obviously fall within the realm of house rules. My ideas are based on using 15mm figures.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

An interesting question, Richard.  Guerrillas would be a nice way to add some additional colour to a Peninsula battlefield.  I would seem them as small units of skirmishers, taking the odd pot shot from cover; more of an annoyance than a big threat, but perhaps enough for the French to have to send some Voltiguers to get rid of them.  I can’t see the guerrillas throwing themselves in front of French columns on the open battlefield.  I’d be more inclined to use them in smaller / skirmish type games based around a scenario.

Nat
    Participant

I’d be tempted to do the following, a Spanish or British Penisular army  may choose one of the following options:

0-1 Partisan band (brigade)
    Brigade comander at SR 6 (all units MUST take unreliable at -3 points per unit) 0 points  OR SR7 (0 points)
    1+ Guerilla units – each with  option to change size to tiny, or normal or large at -13 /+8/+16
    All units gain the Rule – Fire & Fade for free:  This Brigade will brake if more than half units are broken (over riding the Maurader rule that all units need to be)  &  all units must end their movement further away than they start if there are more enemy than friendly units in 12″ at the start of the turn.

OR
    A spanish Vanguard brigade (mid or late) may replace the unit of Milita with a small guerilla unit @ +4 with the option to make the guerilla’s a normal size unit at +8 points.

OR
    0-1 per 500 points, a brigade with at least one unit with the skirmish rule may add a tiny unit of guerillas @18 points, this may be upgraded to small (+13), normal (+21) or Large (+29)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Nat.
    richard zamudio
    Participant

All of the responses were very useful, however I was thinking along the lines of making the guerrillas a very abstract force, not to be burdened with stats and such. The irregular forces are seen as more of nuisance than anything else. Since I am currently using 15mm figures with fairly large forces, the guerrillas would probably not even be on the battlefield! But I do want to use them as a “problem” for the opposition forces. How to do that accurately  is my current dilemma!

Nat
    Participant

so lets see….each unit of Guerrillas can be used in one of the following ways per turn.

I) One French order to reserves suffers a -1 to SR.  If they fail then resolve a unit of Guerillas firing at them,  If the fail was by 1 then they take an extra casulty marker in addition to the shooting attack, if they fail by box cards (12) then the French unit suffers a +1 to it moral save (ie a 4+ becomes 5+) in addition to taking the shooting attack.  If the order was a brigade then only one unit take the casulty / shooting attack unless the failure was a natural 12 in which case all units in the brigade take an attack (& no unit takes an automatic casulity).  If the order was passed on a double one then the unit of guerrillas is removed from the game instead.

II) One Allied unit in reserves receives a +1 to SR

III) you may deploy a unit of Guerrillas from your opponents board edge.  This unit is a brigade of its own, is SR 6 and doesnt count towards the allied armies break point.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.