This week's Warlord e-newsletter

Home Forums Historical Black Powder This week's Warlord e-newsletter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Colin
    Participant

This week’s newsletter contains a piece on Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt. Nothing wrong with the article as a bland general account of the campaign(s) but I was more than a little disappointed to see the massive plug to buy a French Napoleonic Peninsular starter army to represent 1798-1800 French in Egypt!!. So wrong and misleading to any newcomers to the hobby or period. The uniforms are completely different for heaven’s sake. Get a grip please and stop promoting historically inaccurate figures for campaigns such as this one. Moan over šŸ™‚

Skaby
    Participant

well said Colin! I totally agree and support your statement!

RichC

Hi Colin & Skaby – It’s a shame you guys think that – we want to introduce many more campaign periods for people to discover, enjoy, perhaps even have a go at. Perhaps less vitriolic replies would be better and provide a more positive and approachable view with options on what is a fundamentally solid starter article.

Thank you anyway for your feedback – we have adapted the article to introduce the model range to say:

“If you know your stuff (and we’re sure many of you do), you’ll know that there aren’t any miniatures in our range that exactly represent the armies of this campaign (buttons and all), but if you’re looking at getting into Black Powder grabbing one of our fantastic Peninsular War era starter armies gives you plenty of miniatures to get started in a variety of theatres, giving you plenty of options for a whole variety of battles.”

Please remember that we are after all a company selling miniatures and whilst we may not have exactly the correct uniform that supposedly was available (but may not have been) for any given specific battle, we do have a range that we need to show newcomers (who may just want to play a good variety of battles without the troops they have needing to be ‘correct’).

We’d encourage you to help guide newcomers, through positive use of the forum in future, please, and if you have an article you’d like to write that we can use in a newsletter to showcase a battle or campaign then please drop a line to armies@warlordgames.com

Skaby
    Participant

Thank you Richard!
    It is really fine to see this forum moderated.
    the modified text is a big improvement and I would not have bothered to write here, should it have been there from beginning.

Said that, of course I know you are selling miniatures (I know the business, as I worked for another miniatures-selling-company of Nottingham), but that is no reason to bend history.

It is as much in your interest to sell a Blitzkrieg german army AND a late war SS german army, isn’t it? If not, why bother to make both? You offer both and many more (for example: peninsular and Waterloo) So why not make a plastic box for republican french? I would gladly buy a few.

Please excuse my bad english and best regards

Colin
    Participant

Hi Richard

I really appreciate your reply but you misunderstood my original post if you thought it was in any way vitriolic. I was just making a point that the uniforms of a French Peninsular War infantryman was totally different to that of a Republican French infantrymen and especially that of the French Army of Egypt. More than just buttons. Iā€™ve been enjoying this wonderful hobby for over 50 years and Iā€™ve often used figures that werenā€™t quite ā€˜rightā€™ to refight many a historic battle. Even now when we are blessed with so much stuff to chose from I still on occasion fudge things such as not using 100 per cent accurate figures, but I know Iā€™m doing it and itā€™s for my enjoyment and that of my gaming mates only.

Warlord produce some wonderful figures and what you could do is make a box of Revoltionary Wars ragged French infantry on day maybe 😁

I may well take you up on the suggestion I write an article.

Peter Douglas
    Participant

Hi Richard
    First of all thanks for the quick rewrite, a really good solution. I found more Colin’s post more momentary grumpiness than vitriol. We’re on this forum because we value what you folks do and like your stuff.

However, Warlord is a leader in this market and yes that means that we expect you to get things right or fix em quick, especially since you’re the gateway drug to new historical gamers. I’ve said this on the FB page, but repeat it here. I cut more slack for Partizan Press and History of WRgaming projects since those are hobby presses and largely labours of love. Warlord has some big glossy production values and that brings you a higher bar.

Now if you’re into reprinting…how bout some errata and a clean QRS for BP2. A lot of good in their, but significant typos that should’ve been caught.
    Cheers
    Peter

invisible officer
    Participant

The new text is better but still a bit “optimistic”.
    To claim :…………that exactly represent the armies of this campaign (buttons and all)………… .

The different look is so obvious that one might as well use any “men with muskets” range as replacements.

Hmmm Experiment. Tell your wife that a few years of fashion change do not make you into buying her a new robe. šŸ™‚

A few years often changed an army a lot. One can compare that Revolutionary – later Napoleonic look change to that of German army 1914 to 18. A guy with a spiked helmet is not looking “exactly” like one with steel helmet and gas mask.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Perhaps Rich was hoping for a bit less Spanish Inquisition, and a bit more Donald Featherstone.

Egypt is an interesting campaign. I do like the look of those French ‘camel corps’ riders on p111 of BP2. Could quite turn a chaps head! šŸ™‚

Dr Dave
    Participant

No expects the Spanish Inquisition.

But I didnā€™t sense any ā€œvitriolā€. I do think Iā€™d be a bit peeved to buy a range of figures for a particular era only to discover later that they were in fact just plain wrong.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

One man’s vitriol is another man’s merlot. You have to be so careful with the written word. I believe some people even have to do courses at work now to help them be polite. I find it is best to play with a very straight bat, at all times, and to never mention the French.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.