The tracks on the A12 Matilda II – parts reversed?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action The tracks on the A12 Matilda II – parts reversed?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kar98k
    Participant

I did a quick search within the BA forum, and I didn’t see anything about this. But I can’t be the first to notice this.

In regards to Warlord Games’ A12 Matilda II plastic kit in 1:56th scale (28mm). I just picked one up recently and having a look at the bits and instructions. Now, are the track references in the kit reversed? That is are they listed backwards. It seems like it. Does anyone else think the instructions for this kit is incorrect or has a typo?

The instructions say there are two options for the tracks. Steps A & B (“Flat” tracks) are best for tanks in the BEF (France 1940) while Step C (“Grouser” tracks) is best for tanks in N.Africa and those given to the Soviets. But should this have been the other way around? That is, Steps A & B (the “Flat” tracks) are best for tanks in N.Africa and those given to the Soviets while Step C is best for tanks in the BEF (France 1940).

Also the reference for the raised and lowered running gear are also backwards. Clearly parts 2 & 3 (Steps A & B) are the raised running gear while parts 4 & 5 are the lowered running gear.

The “Flat” tracks were used early on, but these types of tracks lack traction under some conditions, so a “Grouser” track was developed. Later an improved grouser design (AKA Ford Box or Ford Cast track) with one large spur and one small was introduced, but the kit only has the “Flat” track and normal “Grouser” track.

Most of the photos in my books show the A12 Matilda IIs in France 1940 with the “Flat” tracks. Also, most of the photos show Matilda in N.Africa with “Flat” tracks, but there are a few photos with “Grouser” tracks. On top of that, many of the Matilda tanks that were sent to the Soviets had the “Flat” track. This is another reason I think the instructions are backwards.

Has Warlord released an instruction errata for this kit? What do you think?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Kar98k.
    Jim Ripley
    Participant

The pictures I’ve saved show both flat and grouser track in the BEF and N. Africa  ( IRC the “lowered” running gear was only used by one unit in the BEF ? ) . My main Matila interest is East , and my Russian pictures show a both flat and grouser ( maybe different factory shipments ? ) I’ve only found one picture in the 150 odd I’ve got that show the improved grouser and the caption says training in the UK  . While  it’s easy to see the track type in sand , the mud and and snow Russia does  tend to hide the details .  I would say Warlord got it right , this time ……

Kar98k
    Participant

Jim, that is a great picture for many reasons, and not just a note about the tracks: The first tank has the later improved grouser type of track. The second tank has the standard “Flat” type of track. The third tank has the standard grouser type of track. Even as late as when this photo was taken, the “Flat” track was still being used.

Don’t relay on the instruction sheet. A little research goes a long way. That being said, the “Flat” track continued to be used even after the introduction the grouser track, and the “Flat” track was still being used even after the introduction of later improved grouser design.

One thing is for sure is that the instructions for the raised and lowered running gear are backwards. Clearly parts 2 & 3 (Steps A & B) are the raised running gear while parts 4 & 5 are the lowered running gear.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

I think they just got the parts mixed up in the paragraph . It does read a little confusing , why call them raised and lowered ? . The raised wheel set was standard production , extending  the wheel sets ( spacers in the coil springs ? ) was a “test”  by one unit ( IRC ) to try and raise the belly so it didn’t bog down in soft / muddy ground in France .  I’m not even that sure if the hull type we get served in Russian , there were 3/4 versions of the cast driver’s position/visor , plus variations in the stowage bin doors on nose ( slats / solid ) and 2/3 types of tow rings . But all in all, a nice little kit . With some reference photos , a little modelling skill and a decent spare parts box you could built some variations of this little beauty

Kar98k
    Participant

After further research – and it didn’t take that much effort – I am now surprised of their choices for how they decided to make the A12 Matilda II model kit. It would have been so much better had they just left out the raised wheel set all together since it’s almost insignificant, and instead just offered the regular wheel set with a choice of either type of track. In short, two track choices with the regular wheel set.

I guess that is what happens when you don’t have Italeri make your model kits. You get oddball choices like this.

That being said, the plastic A12 Matilda II is so much better than the resin+metal A12 Matilda II.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.