Tacking query

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Tacking query

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Watkins
    Participant

Guys,
    Not sure i fully understand the tacking rules.

If you were using the basic sailing rules in the game the deadzone of facing the wind seems to be 30 degrees. Would I be correct in thinking that any ship could turn so that it was 15 degrees into the wind and then on it’s next turn just turn 30 degrees or 45 degrees and get to the other tack without trouble?

If using the advanced sailing rules it seems the deadzone is 45 degrees, does that mean a 3rd rate or smaller could just swap tacks without having to roll and only a 1st and 2nd rate would have no choice but to roll a skill test as they could not turn enough to go from one tack to the other?

Ta

Andy

Capt John Sparrow
    Participant

I just use the 45deg dead zone from the advanced rules. That is essentially 90degs you have to tack through, requiring at least two tests. I like it because that is close to real life.

You should be carrying as much speed as possible as close to the wind as possible when you tack. So at the end of the turn (in a ship with a red turn) you should be ‘almost’ head to wind. Off by a couple of degrees, because mathematically you cannot be beyond the 45degree point.

On he next activation, the ship will move forward its base allowance and then you take a skill test to turn. If failed, you essentially stop with no turn.

If passed, you turn and stop, because, again mathematically you are still in the dead zone. However, on the next turn there should be no forward momentum. You will need to pass another skill test to complete the tack out of the dead zone. If you fail that test prepare to take some damage.
    You are, after all, in irons (and in real life, your ship’s in a world of trouble).

Andy Watkins
    Participant

I am not sure i followed that but it sounds like you have to take 2 successful skill tests which seems excessive?

In the advanced rules there is 22.5 degree arc either side of the wind that is the dead zone.

So if you started say 30 degrees from straight into the wind and turned 45 degrees into it that would leave you 15 degrees the other side pf the tack.

The next turn if you pass the skill check you turn to just beyond the dead zone and I think move forward at light winds?

In other words if you pass the skill test you only need 1 skill test not 2, isn’t that correct?

I remain confused about it.

Capt John Sparrow
    Participant

You are correct. You only need to pass one skill test as, if you pass, you may turn beyond your natural turning angle.
    My mistake that became obvious in this evening’s game.

I will keep playtesting but think you should always require a skill test to tack. Possibly.

Andy Watkins
    Participant

It is easy to get it wrong 🙂

Steve Burt
    Participant

Just one skill test to tack – if you succeed, move to the opposite tack. If you fail, you are in irons, may take damage, and will fall off back to your original heading next turn (because you have to make the smallest turn to get your bow out of the wind).
    I’ve said in another thread that I think the skill test to tack is too hard; a veteran crew should almost always succeed, and even a green crew should have a fair chance. So we add 2 to the skill roll required to tack. You shouldn’t be able to shoot when tacking, either; the crew are fully occupied with the sails.

Andy Watkins
    Participant

Steve. Good suggestions

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Based on the rules (sorry I don’t have my rule book at work with me today), regardless of which wind template you use, the action is the same.

So if a ship begins a turn in irons, the player makes a skill test roll. If the skill test is failed they must anchor (and this step includes rolling for damage if ship is at Battle sails or more). If the skill test is passed they then set level of sail for the turn, the ship is then turned where it is just barley out of irons. Then the turn proceeds normally.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Lincolnlog.
    Steve Burt
    Participant

If using the advanced sailing rules, then there’s no choice about level of sails; you must be on light sails as you come out of the tack.
    The advanced sailing rules are no more complex and a lot more realistic.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

I agree. And I agree, but that’s because just coming out of irons puts you in forward quarter which is maximum light sails. I had so many complaints when I ran basic wind in my first game. Yep just stick to advanced.

Bob

Lt. Greensword
    Participant

I thought it was clear. During the move before you tack you turn normally up into the dead zone. On your next activation you take the skill test and if successful you turn the whole amount needed to take you out of the dead zone and activation continues from that position. My problem is with the skill test itself. That a veteran crew has only a 50:50 chance of succeeding is ridiculous even under combat conditions. In all my games I apply a blanket +1 to all skill tests.

Andrew Cree
    Participant

Had to work through this today. I think the rules are a little unclear and overly wordy.

If the wind direction would point into the red turn zone at the front of the ship, you are in irons, and need to make a skill test.

If the skill test is successful you turn the minimum amount needed to allow the ship to move under light sails and move as normal (thus effectively getting a turn-move-turn activation).

If failed, you move your rate of knots and become anchored – it is not clear whether you make a turn or not after this movement.

We chose to play that you did get the turn, effectively meaning the benefit of succeeding at the skill test is the ability to potentially move at Battle Sails in the next turn instead of being limited to light sails.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.