Swedish and/or Danish frigates

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Swedish and/or Danish frigates

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gary Grimes
    Participant

I’m Looking to do something different for Black Seas: Scandinavian navies. Does anyone know where I can find information (especially drawings, etc.) of the Danish and Swedish navies of the Napoleonic period? Did they have anything unique about them? Did those navies specialize in a particular class or type of ship? Any information is helpful.

invisible officer
    Participant

The Special shing of Swedish and Danish fleets was the many rowed vessels, up to frigate size. The “Schären frigate” for shallow coastal Areas for example.

And many galleys, landing sloops, and most famous the Udema type.

The best book on the 1788-90 war with Russia is by Günter Lanitzki. Many pics and plans. How is you German? Danish or Swedish???

Easy to get in English:
    The Chatham Pictorial Histories Volume Nelson against Napoleon is good for Copenhagen 1801

Victory of Seapower volume has the Danish Mosquito war. Again Gunboats.

Pic shows a Danish Styckprahm and gundboats

Hope that helps a bit.

Attachments:
    invisible officer
    Participant

And a Swedish Group

Naturally both fleets had normal SOL and Frigates too.

Attachments:
    Gary Grimes
    Participant

Thanks for the reply IO. My German is only passable however my Swedish is non-existent (I even mispronounce Ikea product names). Your Swedish Group picture is a great reference shot. Can you tell me where you got those ships and in what scale are they?

Cheers

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Don’t forget, the British and Dutch were at war in the early 1780’s. The Dutch and British were off and on like the French. The Dutch did have a blue water navy. From what I can see though not much use of the carronade in the 18th Century.

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

What special rules (if any) would you use for the Danish/Swedish navies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.