Supports

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Supports

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    G Scase
    Participant

Just getting back to BP2 after a long break. Just want to recheck a couple of things re supports (much clearer in the Pike and Shotte Rules by the way).

a) Our club has believed for years that you can issue one brigade order that says Unit A to charge and units B and C to support. Is that correct or do you need a separate order for supports (which happens in Pike and Shotte). Reading BP2 I get the feeling that perhaps you do need separate orders.

b) I am of the opinion that follow ups, sweeping advances and countercharges apply to the main unit and the supports don’t go with it. Am I right?

c) Similarly, when a unit retires (not breaks) from combat, I’m not sure if its supports go with it and whether or not they would be disordered. (again in P&S they make this very clear). Reading BP2 I don’t think the supports do retire, but can’t be sure.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi G, supports is one area that always causes our group confusion when we move between BP and P&S. here is our take on your questions.

a. In BP you can issue a brigade order to charge and support, but you can’t in P&S.

b. You’re right, in both sets, only the main unit that charged can sweeping advance.

c. Same for both sets again. Only the unit in combat retires and potentially suffers disorder. The supports don’t move.

Hope that helps.

G Scase
    Participant

Many thanks

Big Al
    Participant

Basically, what Charge the Guns has said.

the main thing to remember about a brigade order is that the units involved have to be within 6 inches of each other when the order is issued and end the turn within 6 inches of each other.

I don’t know about P&S, but in Hail Caesar, supports move with the fighting unit wherever possible. If P&S is the same, I can see where the confusion comes from.

G Scase
    Participant

Cheers Big Al

I am happy with the answer given. Incidentally, in P& S the supports don’t move with the fighting unit but the difference is that the P&S rules spell that out for you making it perfectly clear whereas the BP rules don’t.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.