Starter box set issues (Changes)

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Starter box set issues (Changes)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken Redington
    Participant

First I would like to say good job to Warlords on the Black Seas release. It was much smoother then Cruel Seas was and I did not fail to get a single part in my starter box.

That being said, there were a few issues I discovered. First no Spanish flag sheets. You do not even get the option of flagging US or Spanish ships in the starter set. This concerns me as you will either have to wait for a Spanish fleet and US boxes (Choice of sprues for the US should prove interesting) or for them to hit the parts store on the website.

Second issue was with the ship cards in the starter box. We had 3 double sided large merchant ship cards and I think the back side should have been for small merchants. That way you could use brigs as smaller merchants and frigates as the larger without having to add anything else to the box. Double sided cards with the same info on both sides was sort of useless. In the 3rd rate box you could have had your cards portray 64 gun ships on one side and the slightly better armed 74 gun SOL 3’s on the other side.

Other then that looking forward to playing just as soon as I get my ships painted and rigged.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Ken Redington.
    John
    Participant

You are correct about the cards I got one of the 1st boxes and got all the flag but on buyng a 2nd box I didn’t so bought a flotilla set which did have all the flags

invisible officer
    Participant

Hmm, in 2019 flags should be no longer a problem. Easy to find and prepare for printing.

Preparing these (for mirror Image on back) took less than 3 minutes.

Easy to add as many as you like on a Word document in the size you want. Print – ready.

Feel free to use them.

Attachments:
    Steve Burt
    Participant

I’m surprised the Brigs are armed with 2 heavy cannon. Most Brigs had light cannon or carronades, so I will make cards with 2L and 2C for the Brigs, but it’s shame they didn’t put that on the reverse of the cards as you say.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

The ships on the Fleet list are extremely generic (as intended). It’s really easy to make cards as for a historical ship. I would caution the statement

Most

since my sources show brigs of many different armaments. It’s obvious what the design philosophy was, if you work your way down through the list.

My suggestion would be, present the game with the generic ships first. Then introduce historic builds as scenario ships.

Bob

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Lincolnlog.
    Ken Redington
    Participant

I think the easiest thing would be to come up with a formula for guns on real ships vs game dice. Things like the difference between a 64 gun and a 74 gun SOL 3 could be maybe a red die (Light Cannon). Once that is formed for guns and HP it would be easy to work up historical lists.

On the other hand looking through their fleet make up list I think I found an error. If I remember right you have a max of 2 SOL 1’s vs a single SOL 2 per fleet of 1K points and feel it should be switched. The Monster SOL 1’s should be rarer then the 90 to 98 gun ships. Of course considering the lack of proper models at this moment and the effort needed to produce them it sort of works out.

Also think the Russian fleet should be folded in as it would be a better fit then the US in many ways. The US has a more colorful history though with it’s super Frigates. Also wonder if they are going to do the single SOL 3 the US had. It never saw action but did exist from what I can find. (will dig a bit deeper on that one)*

*Uss America given to France upon launching to replace ship sunk entering our harbor in Boston. Was made of green timber and had smaller guns so was scrapped after 3 years by the French due to costs to repair. Would make a interesting What IF ship though, that and the 3 SOL 3’s scrapped before being finished.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Ken Redington.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.