Standardizing model builds for armies

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Standardizing model builds for armies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marcus
    Participant

Hello – I’m new to this forum and new to Bolt Action. I was wondering if any of you standardize model builds when building armies? I like the fact you can customize each mini but surely for tabletop purposes it’s easier to have all one type of rifleman for example. What do long term players do? I understand for displaying minis you might want to have a really custom build but surely for gaming that becomes less important.
    Thanks for any response.

Winter
    Participant

Customizing figs is half the fun. And for the rules it doesn’t have any impact really. If I give a few of my American GIs some captured German weapons it adds some fun flavor to my unit. And since the rules have generic stats for weapon types it doesnt change anything. And Warlord gives you so many little bits and pieces to help make each figure unique. Why wouldn’t you take advantage of that.

Marcus
    Participant

I can see that and do enjoy the building and painting. I was just thinking that for ease of identification if all my riflemen look similar all my smg guys look the same it’s quick when putting together squads. or maybe color coding the bases to identify them quickly might work.

Winter
    Participant

You may be overthinking it. A soldier with an SMG has an SMG on the mini. Same with any other soldier. Once you start playing, its pretty easy to tell an STG44 from a Kar98 on the tabletop. And usually before a game starts we will give each other a copy of our army list so there is no question.

Same with LMGs and such. Itll be visible for anyone to see on the miniature. All your guys will likely be in uniform so they will look similar already and since the game is WYSIWYG just glue on what they are carrying.

Nat
    Participant

Out of ease (playing in clubs where the lighting isnt always great) I colour the base of my LMG teams & Sgt but thats it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.