SPQR 2.0 ?

Home Forums Historical SPQR SPQR 2.0 ?

• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Nat.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Crazynoob198
    Participant

Hello everyone.

Heard a rumor from my FLGS that there might be a SPQR 2.0 in the works? Anyone heard that rumor or can confirm it? News has been slow getting across the pond to over here in the states.

Cheers.

Capt John Sparrow
    Participant

I do hope so. Am six games into a great campaign between my son’s Romans and my Britons.

Support for SPQR seems to have dropped off. I love this game. It has its issues with the rules and if I thought Warlord would listen I would make some suggestions. I can only presume that it is because v2 is coming. I don’t blame them for delaying release until the ‘vid is conquered and gamers can meet for dice rolling without censure.

Tim
    Participant

I sure hope so too. Warlord has been extremely silent on this game- mostly releasing their new fancy resin kits over the last several months.
    This game had me just as excited as Bolt Action for a time, but the lack of support has been deafening. Lets hope there is something in the works.
    SPQR is a great platform and I believe it has a lot of potential.

John
    Participant

its true, short article in wargames illustrated.

combat revisited to reduce the endless buckets of dice and I think pretty big overhaul of points

to late for me moved on to Infamy Infamy, not impressed when rules need this much revising less than 2 years in!

Crazynoob198
    Participant

Thanks everyone.

I bought the game for the value. The idea of a skirmish ancients game has its appeal. It was just too many dice and while I am not a Min / Max type of player with points in an army list, I just couldn’t help myself with this with the helmet and weapons points upgrades (downgrades?). I moved onto two other games, one by a hedgehog that fights, and another gods that might be mortal. I would love to try this ruleset again. I think Warlord makes a fine quality product. Maybe this one was pushed out early to get out first before those other two games picked up steam? And I will have to check out Infamy Infamy. I haven’t heard about it over here.

John
    Participant

I believe the 2nd edition is going to see some sort of reduction in dice. The shields allowing rerolls to armour rather than parrying and an overall reduction in the number of dice each model contributes.

Infamy Infamy is very specific in its lists, so the first book is only Roman versus barbarians. It plays very different and whilst not suiting everyone “feels” more like an encounter between those 2 sides would…. as much as a wargame can anyway!

I’d like to try SPQR 2 but unless there is a deal to replace my book (only 18 months old) for free then I wont bother. I remember battlefront did this a while back when they did a fairly fast change to FOW 2nd edition..

Nat
    Participant

And announced today in the warlord news letter…

John
    Participant

haha yes, I would love to think that was down to my post!!

Tim
    Participant

We’ll never know.
    Have to say I’m surprised… I’m willing to give it another shot. Needed some Dacians anyway:)

Crazynoob198
    Participant

Anybody know what has changed in it? Points costs? Etc.?

Nigel Heather
    Participant

Does anyone know whether the rules book you get through the redemption scheme is

• Full size (A4) or half size (A5)
    • Hard back or soft back

Cheers,

Nigel

Commander Crud
    Participant

I want to jump in and buy SPQR but I’m confused by revised release. Does it mean that only the units listed on https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/spqr-revised-edition-redemption-scheme have been updated for 2.0? So if I order any other units that aren’t listed there I would get outdated cards for those units?

Nigel Heather
    Participant

Unclear what cards have been updated.  Even if you look at the contents of the boxes in the redemption offer, some are listed as having a card and other make no mention of a card.

Cheers,

Nigel

John
    Participant

been watching the new twitch feed put out by warlord on Monday. so to try and answer a few questions.. apologies if I heard any of this wrong..

its a full size A4 rulebook, think softback like 1st edition

The roman infantry points have stayed the same, all other units have changed for balance. Expect “barbarians”, auxiliaries etc to be closer to the romans now for an overall smaller force. net result is outnumbering not such an overpowering factor and hero’s actually have a change to survive

dice rolling has been significantly reduced, units capped at 20, only models in contact fight, most units now only roll 1 dice base per model, weapons/special rules all tweaked for balance

overall I get the feeling there has been significantly more playtesting, and any combo found to be broken has been changed

Nat
    Participant

So the new rulebook has started shipping!  (got my shipping confirmation yesterday),

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.