Skirmisher and Troops in Open Order and charging/being charged

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar Skirmisher and Troops in Open Order and charging/being charged

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    arcole
    Participant

A Skirmish unit is facing a light infantry unit in open order, and declares a charge. If the light infantry unit then closes up, does the charge get cancelled?

When skirmishers do get into close combat, and close ranks, do they still count as being in open order?

Big Al
    Participant

The light infantry can’t close up. If the skirmishers charge into contact, the light infantry don’t have close ranks as a charge reaction option, so it is never going to happen.

When they are in combat, they form a loose line and fight in Open Order.

arcole
    Participant

Hi Al,

Why can’t the Light Infantry close ranks?

Charge Response (Page 60):

Stand: This is the default response and often the only option available. The unit remains where it is. In the case of a unit in open order it will close up its ranks as already described.

Close order is a valid formation for Light troops.

Big Al
    Participant

Ah! Good point. I missed that bit. Well then, as skirmishers can’t charge a formed unit, they will just stop. Actually, it is a tactic that would force a line unit back into line, making it vulnerable to other forms of attack. For example, you declare the charge by the skirmishers and the line closes ranks, it can’t then form square against a cavalry charge in the same turn. Technically, it can’t give closing fire, either because it has already reacted to a charge.

Suddenly, skirmishers become more effective.

arcole
    Participant

I would suggest that if the charge is going to be cancelled, the skirmishers should still complete as much of the move as possible, stopping say 1″ from the enemy.

Trops doing closing shots “Units that elect to shoot at their enemy in this way are otherwise treated as standing.”

So far I have not seen squares used.  However I cant see anyweher in charge responses where a formation change other than formggn close order is permitted (except Testudo, which as I read it always forms line if attacked (and there is space).

Big Al
    Participant

Forgive me, but I have been in Black Powder mode, which is why I gave the answer I did earlier.

In Black Powder, when infantry form square as a reaction to a cavalry charge, the cavalry may then use the remainder of their movement to move back or away from the square. So, I would agree with your suggestion, or even use any excess movement to move away from the reformed target.

Remember that a unit may only react once out of sequence. So, during an opponent’s turn, your unit can only do one thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.