Shooting From Cover

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Shooting From Cover

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Winter
    Participant

P. 57 of the 2nd edition rule book in the breakout section on cover. Shooting from Cover, last sentence: “If less than 50% of the unit’s models are inside dense terrain, but not at the edge, the unit can see and shoot out, but their shoots will be affected by the cover modifier.”

So, if I have a squad of 5 infantry, and 2 of the 5 models are inside the dense terrain, but not near the edge, does the whole unit have the -1 or -2 to hit, depending on light or dense terrain, or is it just the models inside the terrain?

Aaron
    Participant

I read it and have heard it interpreted that If your unit is not touching the edge and with at least 50% within the rest 1″ of the edge of terrain the entire unit suffers the penalty.

A diagram in the book would be helpful. So if your 5 man squad is in woods and 3 men are touching the edge and the other 2 directly behind suffer the -1 penalty.

If it were reverse and only 2 touching then your target would have cover.

HTH

Winter
    Participant

The example it gives is that less than 5o% of the unit are in the dense terrain. So how does the terrain modifier apply if less than half the unit is in the dense terrain? Doesn’t cover modifier apply to the unit as a whole? And the rule book doesn’t say who “their shots” applies to. The models in the dense terrain or the whole unit.

Nat
    Participant

If more than 50% of the unit that can be seen by the firing unit is in cover then the unit is in cover.

So you work out how many models in the target unit can be seen by at least one of the firing unit. You then use that amount to see if 50% or more is in cover. If not then the unit being shot doesnt gain the cover modifier.

If the cover modifier is because of the firing unit then you discount the models who cant see the target unit.

Winter
    Participant

This is for the section on Shooting from Cover. Not cover for the unit receiving fire. The rule book says that a unit with less than half of the unit in dense terrain, and not touching the edge, their shots will be affected by the cover modifier.

Aaron
    Participant

This is for the section on Shooting from Cover. Not cover for the unit receiving fire. The rule book says that a unit with less than half of the unit in dense terrain, and not touching the edge, their shots will be affected by the cover modifier.

So it is just very poorly worded. Bottom line if the unit firing is in cover and not touching the edge it will take the minus when firing. In other words because you are firing through the Terrain the target unit has cover.

HTH

Winter
    Participant

Which would make sense if it was talking about the whole, or majority, of the unit in dense terrain, not touching the edge, and firing out. The book specifically says less than half the unit is in dense terrain, not touching the edge, and firing out. If modifiers are applied to the unit as a whole, then why is the modifier being applied when less than half are in the dense terrain.

Aaron
    Participant

One of the many exceptions that is BA I guess. So if you have any part of a unit in terrain and not at the edge they suffer the penalty.

Not the way we have been playing it, but despite playing from the beginning I seem to learn something new at every tournament or listening to a podcast. 😉

Winter
    Participant

That’s just it, it doesn’t make sense. Not sure if it is a typo or just my group is just not getting what they are saying.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.