SAS Deception Teams

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action SAS Deception Teams

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jaesen
    Participant

First, does the Deception special stack when using multiple teams?  (I presume not)

Second, any reports of the effectiveness of the improvised bombs they use?  Or are they more of an area denial tool?

Thanks!

Master Chief
    Participant

Good question on stacking of the Deception ability of the SAS Deception team in the Overlord book (page 141). The same question can be asked on the Sabotage ability of the German Brandenburgers in the Ostfront book (page 46).

I suspect these are oversights on the writers’ part, and the intention is not to stack. Then again we can also imagine multiple such teams causing more disruption and hence stacking of the ability, although this could potentially prevent any reserves from entering the game at all!

I have not used SAS Deception teams before, so have no comments on the effectiveness of the improvised bomb ability.

Stuart
    Participant

Apologies for bumping this thread.

I recently used a deception team at a tournament and have some observations for others who are thinking of using them. Also, if anyone from Warlord Games is reading, I have a suggestion at the end.

I’ll keep my comments focused on the two features that are specific to this unit: The -1 penalty on opponent reserves, and the IED.

* -1 Penalty. This was useful, particularly against an opponent using either Regular or Inexperienced troops, but not so useful against Veterans. In one of the battles, it kept some key units out of play for several turns. Of course, the dice were against me, and I was not able to capitalise on it as much as I wanted.

* IED. There were some circumstances where it was useful, and others not.

The best place for the IED is on a road edge where an outflanking unit could enter on, or at a chokepoint. I had a chance to do both.  In one game I had the IED on the side of a road, so as an outflanking truck with a section onboard came on it came right past the bomb. Unfortunately, they ‘detected it’ and avoided being blown up. In the second scenario I was in an urban environment and placed it at an intersection. It worked well to keep a cloud of partisans away. No deaths, but denial of egress.

I had one scenario where I was doing point defence and placed the IED on one of the objectives.  This is where it did not work so well because my opponent worked out its weakness. The trigger range is 3”, but the explosion only covers 2”.  All my opponent had to do was move a unit within the 3” diameter and trigger the explosion, which had no effect on the unit as it was outside the 2” explosion range.

So, Warlord Games, if you are reading this, either make the IED 2”/2” or 3”/3” in terms of triggering and explosion.  I can’t imagine a scenario where you would place a trip wire or pressure switch for an IED outside of the blast radius.

I’ll keep using my Deception Team when the scenario allows, if only for the -1 penalty on reserves.  They make a useful small team, especially for hunting snipers. Also, against less knowledgeable opponents the psychological effect of placing an IED can constrain their mobility and add some uncertainty to their tactical plans.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.