Rules question for the american navy

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Rules question for the american navy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Altreus
    Participant

Rules question. In the rule book it says Americans cant take 1st-3rd rates if they use the over fitted rule in the national rules. If I want to take 3rd rates do I not use that rule and can still use the drilled rule or is it all or none for the national rules?

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

I think the restriction on 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rates is historical and not tied to the Over Fitted rule. In other words, you can’t take ships 3rd rate or bigger if you’re playing U. S., regardless of any upgrades.

Altreus
    Participant

That doesn’t make sense though as the 3rd rate boxes have American flags in them. I feel the rule is conditional if you dont bring 1st-3rd rates then you can use over fitted and if you do bring them then you can’t. That’s how it reads as that’s the only national rule that seems to have a conditional value. Historically doesn’t make sense either as the rule book goes to 1830 and America had four 3rd rates by then.

invisible officer
    Participant

The “However” makes clear that it is a historical rule and not connected to the over fitted.

The USN SOL played no role in the war of 1812, the only one ready at end of War (Independence) being trapped at Boston by some RN SOL.

The “what if” game of Independence and Constitution leaving Boston against the much superior RN fleet would make no interesting game.

Apart from the short showing of the flag against Barbary states there was no US SOL Action in the era of the game.

Altreus
    Participant

I’m well aware that the USN SOL never saw combat during this period. The point is that they had them by 1830 which the game goes to. Thus the USN should have access to them without ambiguity since this game is covering a span of 130 years and not one specific ERA of campaign.

invisible officer
    Participant

If you take 1830 literally – yes. But in wartime just one was fitted out and that never fought.In late 1814 conversion to razee was planned by Navy Commissioners but not done until 1836 for lack of funds.
    Returng from the barbary show the Independence stayed in Harbor.

Commodore Bainbridge: “the ship is built too shallow a depth for her other dimensions, which makes her lee guns in action rather low . . .”
    1822 decommissioned.

But nobody keeps you from doing a Fantasy Action of some SN SOL against RN.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

@Altreus,

The National Rules add historical flavor to the game for individual navies and ships. In your basement, on your gaming table play however you wish.

But the rules represent, somewhat, the historical realities of the times.

Bob

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.