RULES QUESTION: Aim High

Home Forums Historical Black Seas RULES QUESTION: Aim High

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

Greeting all.

I must be blind or stupid, but I can’t find the “Aim High” rule anywhere. Can somebody help me out; where is it in the rulebook, what does it do?

Thanks in advance.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Ken,

The main thing Aim High effects is the Critical Table. When aiming high use the Aim High table which is the only way to get mast and sail hits. If not aiming high use the Hull Critical Table.

Bob

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Also, referencing the national fleet special rules, France Aiming High, France only suffers a -1 penalty for aiming high.

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

Got it – thanks for the quick response.

If I get this right, the “free” French National Rule assesses a -1 penalty for Aim High instead of -2. The Brits & the U.S. “free” rule gives them a +1 for shooting; seems like one of the rules is more free than the other?

John
    Participant

they are trying to make the nations different by specific rule per nation

Lincolnlog
    Participant

The French had trouble crewing ships, the U.S. and Britain did not. Remember, one of the main causes of the War of 1812 was British warships stopping U.S. merchantmen and shanghaiing seamen.

But the British also would clean out the Debters Prisons, and Prisions, as well as rake the warves for Merchant Mariners. Drilled comes from the fact that the U.S. and England turned lubbers into seaman quickly, or killed/maimed them in the attempt.

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, the superb RN Gun Crews are a myth. The inflated RN of 1812 was full of low quality officers that did not care for Hornblower / Bolitho gun drill. They had to take everybody to crew the ships, sailing drill was the main job done on the lubbers.

USN was small and could pick the best men. Against them the RN was doing badly.

The French Navy Cannonier Matelot was a well trained expert and only 1793/94 revolutionary fuss made them go down im quality. The later equipages had been good gunners but lacked seaman quality, being to often in harbor.

Chain shot was difficult to handle, it was no sign of bad traning that they used it a lot. Just another tactical approach. Disable the enemy sailing vessel and decide about closing or running.

Not just hammering the hull. British sailors got dry trained in serving the gun fast but did rarely train aimed shooting. London was not happy with Captains firing the expensive stuff on trainimg targets. So the RN ships fired faster but less accurate.

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

“RN ships fired faster but less accurate”…..sounds like Jutland!

I understand the arguments & myths around this issue. My points is that a rule within a game system, the U.S. & Brits seem to have a real advantage over the French & Spanish without having to buy an upgrade.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Ken, in addition any ship firing mortars that scores a critical hit uses the Aim High table (right side top page 20). I missed that my first several read through.

Wait, you mean anti french bias, say it isnt so! (Albion Triumphant 1 and II)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.