Merderet Angels question

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action D-Day Campaign Merderet Angels question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Cat Shot One
    Participant

Nice to have a Saving Private Ryan Bades scenario for Blood Red Skies like the Bolt Action Mini campaign!
    Where is the American Escape Zone actually?
    The ‚Armored‘ and ‚Dispersed‘ combination is an ultra tough nut to crack. Do I understand correctly that the USAAF player needs to roll at least *four successes* in order to start dealing damage? The intro text mentions bombs etc. Are the Mustangs perhaps getting Strafing Ordnance like the FW 190s in a previous scenario?

<edit: scenario title corrected>

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Cat Shot One.
    Koin-Koin

I come to the same conclusion.
    Dispersed: at least 2 successes
    Armoured: ignore the first 2 strafing successes

The counter part is strafing get 2 damages because of the critical results required to hit.

Bombing would only require 2 successes, but then the Mustangs need bombs.

Edit: actually, 2 successful straffing runs and the target is wiped out. So balance has to be found somewhere.

Edit 2: armoured is missing a value. Based on the text it should be armoured (2)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Koin-Koin.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Koin-Koin.
    Cat Shot One
    Participant

The odds are strongly against the USAAF player. If I did the math right, the probability for rolling four or more successes is below 0.3% or 0.5% with six or seven dice respectively.

Cat Shot One
    Participant

So just ignore the ground target.

Koin-Koin

The mission prevail 😔

Cat Shot One
    Participant

This scenario can also be won without destroying the ground targets: “Victory can also be achieved by driving off the opposing squadron(s) via shot down planes and/or accumulated Boom chits.”
    The same holds true for the other three new scenarios with ground targets (Carpiquet Chaos, Butcher Birds, Grand Old Lady).

After checking the “historical source material” (i. e. Saving Private Ryan) the P-51s can be seen three times to employ bombs at Ramelle. That, the math and the insufficient armour penetration of a .50 round convince me to use the “Strafing Ordnance” rules from “Grand Old Lady” in this scenario, too.
    However, this brings up a question from that scenario again: Does using strafing ordnance (which includes bombs) qualify as a strafing attack (and is thus affected by “Armoured”) or a bombing run (not affected by “Armoured” but by “Hardened”)?

Cat Shot One
    Participant

Tom, can you please comment on the original question? (4 successes at very low probability vs. strafing ordnance)

Tom Mecredy
    Participant

Give the Mustangs strafing ordnance. Using strafing ordnance counts as a strafing attack.

Cat Shot One
    Participant

Alright. So where is the American Escape Zone mentioned in the Victory paragraph actually??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.