Prussian Generals CoE and 100days army lists?

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Prussian Generals CoE and 100days army lists?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alex Swarbrick
    Participant

Hi All

***This is a rules question pertaining to the army lists in the Blackpowder 100days source book and the clash of eagles source book***

I am wondering if someone could point out where i am going wrong, as i cant seem to get my head around the Prussian command chain in the Clash of Eagles and 100 Days Campaign

Prussians do not seem to have Divisional commanders like the other factions and only have the Brigade Commanders.

1) Can you have multiple brigades under a single Brigade Commander? or is it 1 brigade to one commander?

2) What happens when you have more than one brigade and brigade commander? who is the General/ CIC?

3) if one of the Brigadiers becomes the General does he still command his brigade alongside giving the reroll to other brigade commanders as per the BP2 rules?

4) does he get a ADC like other generals?

5) can the sub commander give brigade orders, because the general doesnt give orders as per BP2 (unless you look at the special general rules)

I cant seem to find the answers to these so i am hoping someone is kind enough to explain it to me in laymans terms

Many thanks

Alex

Nat
    Participant

1) Each brigade needs to have an individual commander (BP v2 – pg 11)

2) As you pointed out there are options within V2 for your General to be just another Brigade commander – just with the posiblity of being a higher staff rateing -note how prussians cant have a SR 7 brigade commander….

3)As per the  BPv2 General Viarent  you mentioned (warrior General BPv2 -pg 110) you can either keep the re-roll as normal or limit it to just himself

4) I’d say no you get sub commanders instead

5) follow the same sub commander rules as the rest of the Prussians

6) Prussians didnt have Divisions, but rather they had their Brigades directly reporting in to the Corp Commander, as such I’d make the 1st Brigade commander the senior commander and use the Warrior commander general rules insiting that he is SR9

The key thing is the BP (and most of Warlords games) the rules are framework for you and your club to build on… all the above is how I would do it /recommend the Chelmsford Bunker (UK) to play it – subject to discussion.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Nat.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Nat. Reason: added page refs
    Alex Swarbrick
    Participant

Many thanks for the reply

Very helpful

It just really confused me that where most armies have the Divisional commander in the list to use as the general/ CIC, the prussians dont have anything, just their brigade commanders

Thanks

Alex

invisible officer
    Participant

Nat gave the right answer. The problem came from the original organisation.

A Prussian Brigade had a Line Regiment of 3 Battalions (2 Musketeer / 1 Fusilier),  a Reserve regiment of 3 Battalions and a Landwehrregiment of 3 – 4 Battalions.

Regimental CO was a Lt. Colonel but often a Major was doing the job.

Brigade CO was a Generalmajor.   The next higher command was the Army Corps.  Commanded by a Generalleutnant. But if he was absent a Generalmajot took over. But that was normally not one one the Brigade commanders but one sent from Generalstab !

The Prussian Corps artillery was together under one command, not like the French that had a Corps Reserve of 1 – 3 batteries, the rest being integral part of the divisions they served with . That permitted easy fire concentrations, necessary as support for the many green Prussian units.

The Black Powder rules are just a framework. More a Gentleman’s game than the Bolt action “believe what is written” one. Or the Spanish Inq……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.