Proximity rule and formation changes

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Proximity rule and formation changes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    East Norfolks
    Participant

Hello all

Brief question on formation changes under the Proximity rule as I have seen differing comments on this.

My understanding is that is not allowed.  You are only allowed to do a Move forward keeping entirely within your front quarter (or similar back into your rear quarter).  This means that you can change direction e.g. pivot to face a different direction but not change formation.  If you wish to change formation you would have to Move forward or back out of 12” range first and then change, which of course means that you need a successful order of at least two Moves. This also makes the Initiative rule less powerful I think.

Is the above correct?

Thanks

Garry Wills
    Participant

No, there is nothing in the rules that prevent you changing formation within proximity distance. The main point of the rule is to stop units being shuffled sideways in the presence of the enemy. In formation changes the unit stays in place and moves neither forward nor backwards, so it is very similar to turning to face. On p.33 of BP2 under initiative orders it specifically states that formation changes are allowed. On p.36 the Proximity specifically only covers advances and retreats, not changing formation or turning to face.

East Norfolks
    Participant

Thank Garry

This is really helpful as always.  Having looked again, I agree with you.

Given both the Initiative Order and Proximity Rule are relevant if within 12” of enemy, it must follow that if you are allowed to change formation under Initiative Orders, you must also be able to under the Proximity Rule, or it wouldn’t make any sense.

Part of the reason for my confusion is a question I asked to Warlord Games a few months ago as follows:

Q – If an infantry battalion is within 12” of enemy cavalry, but not yet charged, can it simply form square under the initiative rule i.e. no need for an order?

A – No, due to the Proximity Rule the options available to move units within 12″ of the enemy are restricted to straight move forward and straight move backward, so <u>this would not include changing formation</u>. By giving the unit an order though, and succeeding in being able to make two or three moves, you can always move backwards to a distance greater than 12″ and then form square.

I am now think that the part underlined (by me) is not correct?

Thanks

Big Al
    Participant

As Garry has said, you can change formation. I discussed this with Rick personally and he explained that expanding and contracting the frontage does not count as sideways movement.

So, you can change formation while within proximity. Don’t forget that there will be a -1 to the command roll for being that close to an enemy unit if you are not using the unit’s Initiative move.

East Norfolks
    Participant

Thanks Big Al – clear now and also clarifies my earlier question on forming squares.  Good point on the -1 when not using initiative – easy to forget that one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.