Practical question about Carrier models, and the Catastrophic Explosion rule

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea Practical question about Carrier models, and the Catastrophic Explosion rule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Murlo
    Participant

I did a few games now, and it’s going great it’s quite fun, but there’s a few things that are still iffy/unclear. First off, do the Carrier models come with flights, or it’s just the carrier? Cause if you have to buy the planes separately it becomes a little crazy, each carrier ends up costing like a small fleet to buy. As a second thing, isn’t the Catastrophic Explosion a bit too much? (the critical chart roll that instakills the ship) i’ve had it happen a couple times (yes i’m extremely unlucky) to an undamaged BB when a cruiser was shooting at it and it’s an instant game over when it happens, would homebrewing it as 6 or 8 D6 damage applied to the hull be a more reasonable option? Lastly, how’s the point balancing for the ships? I realize it’s not the game’s strong point and it’s not meant to be “competitive” in any way, but the difference between a few of the ships on the same cost are perplexing

Greg S
    Participant

Instant kills may not be the mist fun in games, but then there’s HMS Hood – sunk within 3 minutes, 1400 crew lost.

Nat
    Participant

1) yes under the points system in the rulebook Carriers include the number of flights in the stats,  these are chosen (type and role) when you write the list – you can end up with more flights (cost wise) than the carrier cost you quite easily!!

2) Yep for a slight chance of a catastrophic explosion (6 to damage, 4+ to confirm, 10 on a D10 followed by a 6 on a D6) it happens enough to be noticed!
    EDIT – ive thought about making it XD10… but not really had the game time to put much leg work in to how it will affect the game as a whole

3)the Warlord Points system (whats in the rules) is VERY loose and has a number of problems – its been raised with WL since day ONE!  there are a couple of unofficial repoints over on the Wardroom (facebook group) and Discord channels.  Its probably the biggest thing stopping me (& others) running tournaments

4) talking of the wardroom, if you check out the News from the Wardroom thread theres some files which we’ve created to help people play (Including a 1 page ‘cheat sheet’ turn guide & a flights 101 that breaksdown and explains how flights fully work (due to some old beta rules being left in the rulebook….. :\)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Nat.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Nat.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.