Points cost sloop of war

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Points cost sloop of war

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joe
    Participant

hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has yet to use a sloop of war in play. I’m especially interested in playing great lakes scenarios so I will be getting some sloop of war models soon. I’m curious though as to points and armaments as it’s not present on the fleet table in the rulebook. Technically it would fall somewhere between a brig and a 6th rate. I was thinking of using the brig card with the sloop of war model, especially since some of the US brigs were more heavily armed than some british sloops of war (uss niagara and uss lawrence). I have seen that wl has recently included data for the uss niagara which could also be useful….any feedback would be appreciated.

cheers!

Andrew Cree
    Participant

Sloops are already in the game, covering any unrated ship with 18 or fewer guns – ships with 20+ guns were usually rated.

Although called Brigs, the term is a contraction of Brig (rigged) Sloops and were a successor to the Snow Sloop. There were also Bermuda Sloops.

In game, I think the Brig is based on the 18-gun Cruizer-class and the Sloop is based on the contemporary 10-gun Cherokee-class

joe
    Participant

“the Sloop is based on the contemporary 10-gun Cherokee-class”
    Exactly, but I was referring to larger ship-rigged sloops such as the HMS Detroit and Queen Charlotte which were based on Snake class sloops and carried up to 20 guns. I will game these ships using the brig card since the “sloop” category is a bit undergunned, especially when playing against the USS Lawrence or Niagara.

Thanks for the input!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by joe.
    Nat
    Participant

May be a cartoon of text that says "BLAOK Battle SBAS 79241 792410004 Sloops squadron warlordgames.com 1/700th S"
    nope, this is a sloop!

joe
    Participant

I don’t see a photo but if you’re referring to this useless thing (it’s basically another brig with a poop deck), then Warlord has dropped the ball…what was needed was a ship-rigged (3 masts) sloop to fill the gap. Oh well, looks like I’ll have to keep modifying brigs for my sloops of war…..

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by joe.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.