Peerless Armoured Car?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Peerless Armoured Car?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tim Haslam
    Participant

Weird question,
    I’m building up a Greek force for 1940 period.
    I’m looking at the Peerless armoured car as what little google research I’ve done makes it a fun and unusual addition.
    Plus I’ve found a cool model available.
    My question is concerning the ‘paired’ twin mmgs.
    All my research leads to a vehicle with two separate turrets which should mean I could fire at two targets, similar to a tank with a hull and co-ax mmg.
    However the stat line reads that they are paired and has 10 shots.

This is just a question, I’m NOT having a moan about it, and besides when playing Bolt Action it’s highly likely I’ll want to shoot all 10 shots at one unit for maximum effect.
    Nope I’m just being inquisitive and a little confused.

Thanks
    Tim

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Tim, my reading of the Greek campaign mentions the Greeks having Vickers-Peerless Armoured Cars. These do not have turrets but between 1 and 3 Machine guns, see Blog on Greek Armoured cars

Greek Peerless armored car
    There is confusion because the same name is used for the Austin built Peerless Armoured Car with twin turrets and this one which was really an APC with open top with mesh cover or sloping armoured roof. Even more confusing is that the Greek one looked like the Lancia APC as they are similar in appearance.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Alan Hamilton. Reason: spelling corrected
    invisible officer
    Participant

A minute faster 😉

The Greek one was constructed in some variants. With the tent shape Roof shown by Alan or with an open one with a mesh cover against Hand grenades.

It was converted from the 1920 Peerless for the Greek Police and became Military by Takeover 1939.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

Thanks guys.
    That makes sense now!
    Humm… so I need to do a conversion of some sort?
    Any suggestions as to where to start?

I was looking at the 1st Corps 1:48 scale Austin armoured car. I prefer the slightly bigger scale. But wouldn’t rule out 1:56 scale either.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

A lancia armoured car may be the place to start?

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

Lancia APC in MDF by Warbases

Musketeer miniatures made one but I do not know if anyone now produces it.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

Yeah, I was looking last night.
    The warbases one in MDF seems cheerful enough.
    It’ll need a roof making though.

Also found one from shapeways, but it’s a download for a printer, which sadly I don’t have.

Tim Haslam
    Participant

I’ve ordered the Warbases Lancia, so let’s see how that turns out?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.