Page 71, SdKfz 250/9 – Delete the open-topped special rule?

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Page 71, SdKfz 250/9 – Delete the open-topped special rule?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kar98k
    Participant

In the current (and older) FAQ and errata, it says, “Page 71, SdKfz 250/9. Delete the Open-topped special rule.” on page 2 under “Armies of Germany – Errata”.

What is the reasoning behind this errata? The SdKfz 222 (has same turret) still has the Open-topped special rule? Or does the SdKfz 222 also have the special Open-topped rule deleted? What about the SdKfz 234/1? Or the SdKfz 251/23?

Very confusing.

Richard
    Participant

yep, very confusing. It’s been like that for years.

Kar98k
    Participant

What I suspect happened was that someone at Warlord noticed that the SdKfz 250/9 had an Anti-Grenade Mesh and thought, “There should be no Open-Topped special rule”. What they did not do was to take into account other German vehicles (SdKfz 222, SdKfz 234/1, SdKfz 251/23 for example).

Kar98k
    Participant

Because of the excellent SdKfz 250 model kit from Rubicon Models, we are seeing more and more SdKfz 250/9 on the gaming table – Rubicon Models offers an SdKfz 250 expansion kit to make the SdKfz 250/9, but you also get the parts to make an SdKfz 250/9 in the new Rubicon Models SdKfz 222 model kit (another excellent model kit by the way).

So my question is this. How are other Bolt Action gaming groups handling this SdKfz 250/9 errata. Are they just ignoring it? Are they applying it to only the SdKfz 250/9? Or, are they applying it to the SdKfz 250/9, but also other vehicles like the SdKfz 222, SdKfz 234/1, and SdKfz 251/23?

Dr Dave
    Participant

It’s an anti grenade mesh (only when it’s closed). It would be useless against artillery and small arms fire.

Kar98k
    Participant

It’s an anti grenade mesh (only when it’s closed). It would be useless against artillery and small arms fire.

Are you saying that you do not apply this part from the errata?

Richard
    Participant

It’s daft to apply closed top to any of the anti-grenade mesh covered vehicles. The Errata is in error in my opinion. Especially when some vehicles (the Lince?) have the opposite, it has a solid roof but it’s thin so counts as open topped…

Dr Dave
    Participant

I’d treat any sdkfz222-turreted vehicle as open topped. Put an air burst round above it and it’s open topped. The screen would only stop the grenade going inside. Butvht e splinters / fragments will get in. Hence I call it open topped.

Roy H Anderson
    Participant

I would think the open top rule would apply more if it was being assaulted or shot at by light weapons for pins. In either of those cases I think it makes sense to not be considered open topped.

Dr Dave
    Participant

I think it more a case of what would the grill actually stop – assuming it was closed. Surely it would only prevent a grande from entering the vehicle?

FWIW I think most other rule sets treat these as open topped.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.