newbie question about building bolt action models

Home Forums General Discussion newbie question about building bolt action models

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    craig mason
    Participant

Hi i have never built metal models before what glue do you use and is there anything i should do before painting also has anybody got a painting guide for these chindit troops

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by craig mason.
    invisible officer
    Participant

Best for metal is superglue / cyanacrylat. It settles by humidity in air so a very dry room is not ideal. But a bit of humidity on one side makes it faster. Water, spit…..

Most wash the parts with water and soap to get any chemicals from casting and Skin fat away.

There are many colored Chindit miniatures in Internet, so easy to find what Color goes to…….

As ever best: Learning by doing.

Kar98k
    Participant

After you trim and clean the flash off the metal parts, give them a wash with warm soapy water, and then rinse them with warm clean water (no soapy residue). If the metal seems to lose its luster, that is okay!

I agree with Invisible Officer. For metal and metal+resin figures, use a good cyanoacrylate glue (superglue, Krazyglue, Hotstuff, and so on) to attach the bits. But be careful. There is a technique and not all CA glues are the same. Also, a toothpick can come in handy at times for applying the CA glue.

For attaching larger bits, you might consider “pinning”. Pinning is basically drilling small holes and using pins and CA glue for better strength and durability.

For filling noticeable gaps or imperfections, you can use a good epoxy putty.

After you finish assembling your metal figures, and after the glue and any epoxy has completely set, wash the figures again to remove any oily finger prints and other residues. BTW, this also applies to plastic figures/models as well.

After the metal figures are fully dry, I recommend using a good spray metal primer. A quick thin coat is all you need. Don’t worry about every tiny nook and cranny, and over spray is bad. Most metal primers come in light gray (which is good), but now you can get some special army colors (I have not tried). Floquil Paints use to make one of the best metal primers, but I have not tried Floquil’s new formula. Tamiya, Hobby Boss, and Testors also make good metal primers. I also hear good things about Vallejo’s surface primers, but I have not tried them yet.

Priming Plastics?
    For metal figures, I think priming figures with a good metal primer is almost a must. For plastic figures, you do not have to prime the figures! Yes, I said it. However, this a long and detailed topic (and controversial by some) for another time.

MattW
    Participant

The above comments are so good there is little I can add, but I would say that when I apply superglue I tend to put a small blob on a surface I don’t care about (say a plate I use for decanting PVA etc.) and dip a cocktail stick in it to then apply the glue. This gives me more control – I find that usual applicators on superglue pots lead to me being messy, and as a result my fingers can end up glued to the piece. There is nothing more frustrating than holding a fiddly little piece in place until the glue sets, but watching the piece you were attaching come away with your finger when you try and release it šŸ™ It can also help to use a pair of tweezers to hold smaller pieces, as again this can give more control. Hope that helped, and good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.