Napoleonic Skirmishers

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Napoleonic Skirmishers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

Maybe I’m being obtuse, but I’m still fuzzy about Skirmishers.  I understand the rules regarding Lights & Open Order, but…..

1. Can Line battalions generate their own Skirmishers? If so, how many?

2. If they can generate their own Skirmishers, can a Line battalion shoot through them?

3. What are the rules regarding the deployment/recall of Skirmishers?

Garry Wills
    Participant

You need to look at the rules for mixed formation for this aspect of line infantry play. The mixed formation section is part of the advanced rules. Technically the mixed formation is based on a third of the battalion being deployed as skirmishers, rather just the light/voltigeur company, so you may prefer to allow mixed formation for some of your battalions.

Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

Makes sense – thanks for the clarification.

Big Al
    Participant

Beat me to it, Garry!

Mike
    Participant

In Clash of Eagles there are some special rules regarding skirmishers, that provide a more granular feel to mixed formations based on infantry type and nationality.

Specific to your question:

The mixed formation requires a formation change.  The formation change represents the “parent” battalion dispatching skirmishers to screen their front “quarter”.

The mixed formation only gets 1 shooting die symbolizing the fact that most of the unit is unable to fire due to friendly skirmishers in front of the unit screening them from the enemy… and not just screening the enemy from them…

Just as it takes a formation change to enter mixed formation, it takes a formation change to exit it.  The exception is when charging or being charged the mixed formation automatically reverts to the formation of the parent unit (either attack column or line).

Big Al
    Participant

All of that is in the main rulebook for Mixed Formations. Clash of Eagles has just repeated it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.