My Soviets so far

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas My Soviets so far

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sergei S
    Participant

Having painted the Soviet box set- 2 Bronekater pr1125, 4 D3 MTB, Fugass mine sweeper, 4 G5 MTB, Il2 Shturmovik, I also added 2 more Bronekaters, Schuka sub, Smerch monitor gun boat and a couple merchant vessels. Will be adding a tug, small oiler and possibly another monitor gun boat fron Dnieper flotilla. Have also been painting a… predreadnaught Russian battleship (!). Had model for years, finally assembled and will paint for special game. Russian destroyer models are hard to come by and quite cost prohibitive…

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Sergei S.
    Sergei S
    Participant

Adding pics here is worse than pulling teeth. What, file size has to be a Sumerian pictogram? Sheesh…

Renko
    Participant

I’m in a similar position having exhausted the Warlord model range. I’ve a couple of BMOs from Heroics and Ros you may want to look at. The models lack the details of thw Warlord D3s but you can replace the guns and add crew from Warlord. I’ve also converted one into an MO.

and yes re pics –

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Renko.
    Attachments:
    invisible officer
    Participant

Nice work on them.

Sergei S
    Participant

Renko, boats are very nice. Yeah, Malyi Okhotnik missing from lineup is perplexing, since it was most common boat in Soviet service. Soviet MTBs are mostly comic relief in the game, with two torps apiece and only a couple HMGs, they are sort of fire and forget weapons. On the orher hand MO and Bronekater can just pound enemy into submission. There were other vessels in Soviet fleet at the time, if my gaming group would be less anemic on gaming, I could try to scratch build them.
    On the pics- do one have to reformat them to MUCH smaller size to post here? I am pretty much always posting off the phone. So that would be an interesting waste of time.
    Thanks for tip on Heroics and Ross.
    Sergei

Sergei S
    Participant

A little bit on MO and BMO ships. Initial and most ubuquitous was MO 4- malyi okhotnik, little hunter. Those were built in hundreds and typically had 2 45mm semi auto cannons, 2 12.7mm HMGs and 2 charge racks. BMO was bronirovannyi malyi okhotnik- armored little hunter. Had steel hull, armored engine compartment and very substantial gun shield for forward gun. Aft 455 was replaced with 37mm semi auto AA gun and 12mm hmg were twinned in single mount. What Heroics sells I can obly figure with model in hand. They took my money but gaffed up the order. Will see how that will work out…

Chris Salander
    Participant

Here is what I am doing for MO-4s. I have cut off some of the equipment on Japanese sub chasers and added guns and figures. I know there should be two depth charge rails and that the searchlight should be on top of the bridge, but this is close! Haven’t painted them yet. Some paintings I have seen on-line seem to suggest a light olive drab or greenish color.
    – Chris Salander

Attachments:
    Renko
    Participant

I suspect the H&R models are going to be easier to work with – the hull is fine – though some deck planking would have been nice, and once you re-equip with Warlord guns they’re looking nice. I think I may have been a bit too generous with the 45mm in hindsight. I should add the cards are not my work – one of the guys on the Dock Office is a wizard as that sort of thing

Sergei S
    Participant

Finally resized and uploaded some pics. First post and here… Thanks for the cards. I will need to make card for Smerch monitor. That would be… interesting. Played one game with it- small boats are no match, destroyer maybe. 2 6 inch guns, 2 twin 4.7 inch guns, 2 47mm guns, 6 hmgs. Torpedo impervious, but slow as molasses.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Sergei S.
    Renko
    Participant

Just adding this to the fleet. Took about 2 hours to cut it down from full hull to something like waterline but should paint up ok. I realise I’ve missed the rear gun – sort that tomorrow

Attachments:
    Sergei S
    Participant

A bit easier for me. I am in jewelry business, so hacked off the bottom in minutes. Etched parts are very fragile, for gaming piece will not do. I has same issue with monitor, so most of etched parts got thrown away
    I based my 350 scale sub on base of 300 scale to indicate actual size of vessel.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Sergei S.
    Sergei S
    Participant

My two armored Moshkas from Heroics and Ros.

Renko
    Participant

Nice – I’m not keen on the H&R weapons which are a bit weedy when compared to the Warlord ones, particularly the forward 37mm. I’m working on a 3d print of the gun mount which is getting beefed up so it will survive handling

Sergei S
    Participant

I am going to buy 2 more boats and make them MO, with either Warlord guns, or I have some from other models. These I was not willing to wait and banged out in one day. Once painted they seem to be stiffer.

Renko
    Participant

Heading into the more obscure back waters here but my mate Paul has been trying to design some Soviet ships – here is his Project 165 gun platform

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.