My entry for the diorama comp

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action My entry for the diorama comp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Gareth
    Participant

My entry is roughly based on the picture below and a knocked out Stug III.

Early days so far and lots of kit bashing.

Gareth
    Participant

Admin please delete this post, I have given up trying to post images on here. I can post on various other sites and I am well within 512kb.

Edit has vanished again and no preview 🙁

Thx.

Richard Coates
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve fixed the three links in the post – I hope that’s what you were trying show. I’ll look into what problems you might have been having.

The 512k limit is just for images you’re uploading using the Attachments option under your post when you’re editing it – if you’re hosting them elsewhere (e.g. Imgur) they can be as big as you like.

Gareth
    Participant

Cheers dude,just the job.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Nice work on the Stug . You’ve got most of the damage sorted . Did you notice the roof seems to be lifted up a couple of inches , wonder if they set of a self destruct charge ? The gun in full recoil means they drained the oil out of the recoil cylinders , so once fired the gun is damaged . I also note a few Churchill tracks links tight beside the road wheels , I wonder if a passing Sherman with welded on Churchill track links got a little too close and scraped up the side of the Stug .Looking at the picture again I wonder if the Sherman came down the hill and cut the corner too tight , that would als explain the bent gun barrel . Where did you find this picture ? I Think I want to find this book

Gareth
    Participant

Your right the roof has lifted up a bit most likely due to an internal explosion. It’s one of the Panzer wrecks books Normandy number 3,invaluable books for modelling.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Panzer Wrecks Normandy 3, guess I’ll have to track that one down , thanks

Gareth
    Participant

A small update. Been doing the ground work on the Stug so far.

Black primer,3 coats of rust, chipping medium, cream paint and gently rubbing with a brush to give the worn look.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Looking good . What did you use in the engine compartment ? Sort of hard to see but did you bash up the drive shafts in the front hatches ?

Gareth
    Participant

Funny you should mention that. I have not glued the top shell of the Stug down and added a false bottom into the interior to add scratch bits to so when you look in the open hatches there is something to see. I have some old 1/16 cogs from a Tamiya Tiger which will do for the drive shafts and pilot seat from a plane kit for the driver.The rear hatch is a jumble of pipes and bits. Not sure about the main commander cupola yet ? Any suggestions ?

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Lots of photo sets / walkarounds of Stugs on the net ( check Armorama or Prime Potal ) , also the Squadron / Signal Stug Walkaround book ( fantastic pictures & cheap ) Really not much room in Stug ,the commander pretty much had the gunner in his lap . Usually radios on both sides over fenders ( towards rear ) . Commander had a fold down jump seat attached to back wall , 2 MP 38 and ammo pouches on upper back wall ( behind Comm & Loader ) , maybe a map case . Probably more detail seen through Loaders hatch , but really just the gun breach and guard almost touching rear wall

Gareth
    Participant

An update on what I have done so far.

Just the basics inside so something can be seen when looking in the open hatches. The other hatches will be blocked by various bits.

Basic layout and I have started on the foliage behind.

Making sure my mdf plinth fits.

Lots more to do including discarded Stug stuff and a figure.

Gareth
    Participant

Finally got my rear end into gear and finished.

This has been my first real attempt at a diorama and I must admit its been a lot of fun. A few bits of information on the diorama. The Stug and 3 men are only stuck down with blue tac to hold them in place as I want to reuse them. I scratch built the interior of the Stug to a minimum standard so you can see something through the open hatches. The earth base is real, basically earth and pva glue a completely new thing to me but well worth the hassle. The mdf base and title card were bought at grand total of £6 off fleabay. Lastly the foliage in the background is seafoam covered in flock.

Finally a few photos taken outside with a suitable backdrop.

Gareth
    Participant

Nearly forgot, I did in the beginning aim to have the Stug smoking thus the pun on “afternoon brew” but never got round to it. Maybe next time.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Great diorama. I really like the story, and the big moment about to happen. Photos look great with the natural lighting as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.