More rules questions!

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea More rules questions!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Indy
    Participant

Seems that this is a popular topic…

Are there rules regarding ship types hidden in the rule book that I can’t find? There’s reference in the ship lists to certain ships “taking damage as civilian-type” but I can’t find anything in the damage rules that talks about certain ship types taking damage any differently from others. The only rule that seems to interact with a ship’s type is Destroyer, since it’s mentioned on the gunnery modification table. Even Carrier as a type doesn’t seem to matter, as it’s the Carrier trait that gives it its abilities. There are a couple of civilian ships that can explode, but that seems to be more based on their cargo rather then their ship type. I assume that in previous rules iterations civilian ships took more damage, but that seems to have been removed? Am I missing something here?

Enioch
    Participant

There’s reference in the ship lists to certain ships “taking damage as civilian-type” but I can’t find anything in the damage rules that talks about certain ship types taking damage any differently from others.

[Weak] weapons (e.g. typically DD armament and bigger ships’ secondaries) can crit civilian ships. “Taking damage as civilian-type” means that the ship can be critted by [Weak] guns

Greg S
    Participant

That’s it.  It’s a bit hidden away.

I hunted through some playtest documents, but couldn’t find any other rule that made it more explicit.  And my original version is packed in a box somewhere, so I can’t look at that.

Indy
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. Not sure how I missed that. A glossary reference would be great, but I guess that got missed.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to simply have ship types listed as either Military or Civilian then? Given that all the rules for Carriers are based off the trait, not the ship’s type, wouldn’t it make sense to do that for the other ship types as well for the sake of consistency? That way you can also give all the sundry little rules for certain ships even if they aren’t specifically of that class; frigates, minelayers and other small ships could have the Destroyer trait, so they can scout, are -1 to hit and so on, while unusual large cruisers like the Alaska or Graf Spee might have the Battleship trait, so can’t point-blank Destroyers, can’t be used for scouting, etc.

Just a thought!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Indy.
    Nat
    Participant

If you notice frigates (the two RN ones in the rules) ARE already classified as Destroyers….
    Also ships type is one of Civilian, Battleship, Carrier, Cruiser, Destroyer, Submarine – thats it…. some Carriers are type Civilian with the carrier trait (look at the IJN carrier section, it has a mix of all 3 types)

Civilian ships also cant attempt to detect submarines when they are submerged… which is why some carriers are listed as carrier but due to construction took damage more easily so have the rule *takes damage as civilian.

Warlord have consolidated the ship types……

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Nat.
    Nat
    Participant

Oh and dont forget to check out the offical FAQ as it add the -1 to hit subs when they are on the surface….it also fixes a couple of types so they are correct (one of the carriers is listed in the rulebook as type cruiser so could (if you played strict RAW…) be put into scouting!…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.