Late war french army, post operation dragoon

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Late war french army, post operation dragoon

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Connor
    Participant

What kind of armies can I build?

I only know they used a mix of french, british and american equipment.

And what things can I buy to make an army out of it? (infantry, vehicles)

Winter
    Participant

Late war French were equipped by the US. Just use Americans and add a smattering of early war French in for units who had not been reequipped. for my FFL I just used large war US and popped on some heads with kepi from Mad Robot.

Nat
    Participant

Hmm…. ok Forums ate my reply!…because I’d linked wikipidea in it!

So without wiki links…

By 1944 the Free French were equipped by the US…Look at Campaign: battle of the bulge for an army list of the 1st Army but heres a list of units for you to start off – most using US models

consists of Officers, medics, forward observers, chaplains
    infantry: late war squads, FFI squads*, Tiralleurs*, morrocan Goumiers*, Brigade de Choc**, French SAS***, D’Eclaireurs skieurs & MPs
    teams – MMG (2 per slot), light mortar, medium mortar, Bazooka teams, sniper, flame thrower
    generic artillery, 57mm M1 AT gun
    armoured cars – M8 greyhound or SAS** jeep
    tanks:  stuarts, shermans, M10s, priests
    US trucks and half tracks..

* french resistance or early war units
    ** BdeChoc are the units that where organised with the british special forces so commandos, SAS, Para’s etc

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Nat.
    Connor
    Participant

Which products correspond to which infantry in the list?

For example, do tirailleurs wear the traditional uniform or us uniform? If they wear traditional but take us weapons, how do i make that?

Similar questions apply to other squads in the list.

What artillery did they use in the end? Some old french cannons or M2A1 105mm? Are they equivalent in gameplay?

Does everything in a U.S. starter army fit the theme?

Nat
    Participant

each nation has a generic light, medium and heavy artillery piece… which is open for people to use the models they like…

As to the exact weapons… well in BA they are generic, rifle, SMG, LMG ect (except the BAR)… now I’ll say here I dont play french (nor does anyone in my local club!) so apart from i’ve put i’ll let other with more knowledge answer

HellRaiser 7
    Participant

You can find the Late War French Army list in the Battle of the Bulge Book. Great Army to play.

Connor
    Participant

Does the book tell you which product to purchase to represent which units?

Nat
    Participant

By this point in the war the Free French where entirely equipped by the US

however 1st Army (France) – Wikipedia as a whole…but if you focus on 2nd Armored Division (France) – Wikipedia

Also if you look at Campaign : Battle of the Bulge it has a Free French Europe platoon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.