Large units – worth it?

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar Large units – worth it?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SteveT
    Participant

I can see their large fighting values are excellent 1 on 1. But don’t you open yourself up to being attacked by 2 regular sized units on the front flank? From what I have seen, 2 regulars ‘outgun’ a large.

Related to this is an ongoing issue I have with all Black Powder and variants. Its a flexible basing system but I still cannot get over the fact that the unit frontages will have profound impacts on the game.

I am looking at the Camillan Roman list vs Gallic for example. Roman infantry units are small. Gallic war bands are reg or large.  Making Small units 1/2 the size of regular units, or 1/3 the size has a huge effect if multiple Romans are piling in.  Even more so if a Large gallic war band is engaged by a line up of 2, 3 (?4) small Roman infantry units.

Cheers

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by SteveT.
    arcole
    Participant

Hi Steve,

What you say is true, so smaller units will have an advantage against largers units. If you are fighting a sceanrio, then you need to cater for this when setting it out.

If you use the “points” system as a guide, you will find that the smaller units become proportionally more expensive that the larger units, so yes, they will be stronger on a compact front, but more vulnerable to flank attacks due to having a smaller frontage.

A Camillan Hastatis/Princeps unit is costed at 23 points, whilst a standard warband is 28 points. The Romans are going to have to win quick before all the extra points the Gauls will have swarming around the flanks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.