Japanese Lone Sniper

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Japanese Lone Sniper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    Participant

Can anyone tell me the advantage of having a lone sniper (55pts for Regular) rather than a conventional sniper team of two men (50pts regular)?

Also how does the Lone Sniper LMG work? I know it’s -1 to hit due to not having a loader but does he get the other sniper benefits of ignoring negative to hit modifiers.

If he gets more than one hit, are they all exceptional hits?

If the target comes within 12″ range does he fire as a normal LMG?

Thanks everyone

Greg
    Participant

The Lone Sniper doesn’t take the -1 for no assistant as he is not a Team element.  He also ignores the 1st pin he might have in the orders phase.

As an LMG, he takes the -1 for no assistant.  No exceptional hits (unless you roll 6 twice to damage).  Range is the same as any other LMG.  No benefits.

Better to use him as Sniper.

richard zamudio
    Participant

Without looking at the points, the Japanese lone sniper is probably cheaper either as a sniper or Lmg gunner. I am sure someone will provide the correct points!

Greg
    Participant

The LMG adds 10 pts.  Cheaper & more effective as sniper IMO.

Ian
    Participant

Great, Thanks for that information.

Paying the extra +5 points for only one man instead of a 2-man team seemed a bit counterintuitive, but I see the advantages now.

The LMG option is too expensive. 55pts +10pts for an LMG firing at a -1 to hit? Doesn’t make sense

Greg
    Participant

I use one occasionally.  The biggest drawback I’ve found to the Lone Sniper is that if he gets hit by an arty strike or by small arms that gets a kill (but not exceptional), there’s only the sniper, no assistant to dump the kill on.  He could be lost on a 6 in a preliminary bombardment for example.  Just something to consider.

Ian
    Participant

I think I will stick with the normal two-man sniper team, costs 5 pts less and is more robust.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.