Infantry Forming Square

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Infantry Forming Square

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ken Jacobsen
    Participant

I was listening to a podcast recently in which the host made mention of a rule that infantry now have to pass on Order Test to form square, as opposed to the method on page 89 of the rulebook.  Has anyone heard of this?

Big Al
    Participant

You have to be wary of podcasters making these statements. If it isn’t in the main rulebook, then it is either an alternative rule suggestion from one of the supplement books (including the rules that come with the Epic set) or it is a house rule that they are passing off as an actual rule.

it is certainly not in the main BP2 rulebook.

Garry Wills
    Participant

You are referring to the optional rule in Clash of Eagles, for units in line formation with the must form square rule. The command test is used to determine whether the unit forms square, a disordered square or none at all. As big Al said it is not in the rules per se. I don’t use it myself.

Garry

Mike
    Participant

As Garry noted, there are new rules for forming square on pages 98-100 in the Clash of Eagles supplement. It provides bonuses to the Order test depending on how far the cavalry starts its charge.  I like this rule, though as Garry notes above others don’t.

Part of the intent, I think of the rule was to force infantry in go into square when cavalry was nearby rather than as a “response to a charge”.  I like the way it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.