Hungarian Mounted HQ Question

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Hungarian Mounted HQ Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Jahns
    Participant

Under the FAQ and Errata, it states that “”If my platoon includes cavalry squads, can I mount an officer and the men in his team on horses? That sounds reasonable; in a platoon that includes one or more cavalry squads, any HQ team can be mounted on horses at the cost of +5 pts per man, getting the Cavalry special rule.”

With this in mind, certain countries, such as Hungary (for my question specifically), have a special rule for their cavalry units specifying that the cavalry unit cannot charge (The Hungarian cavalry unit was not trained to charge into battle, but rather acted as a mobile reserve or pursuit unit. Hungarian cavalry units may not move into contact with an enemy unit while mounted. On the other hand, Hungarian cavalry sections do not suffer the -1 to their leadership roll to arrive from reserve). This however is framed in text as a special rule for the specific unit, not a national rule for the country as a whole when interpreted RAW. This means that the rules for any mounted HQ unit exist in the errata and outside the Hungarian Cavalry special rule if I am interpreting this correctly.

So, why even bother asking a silly question such as this other than for clarification? I’ve sat thinking for a great deal about Hungary’s special rule for Fanatic HQ units (local peers Romania get free artillery piece and Bulgaria gets no enemy outflanking for comparison – I don’t want to come across as complaining, the Fortress Budapest book is much appreciated with tons of flavor). All this considered, nobody wants an HQ unit of one or two men in the midst of an assault under normal circumstances, so how does one even use this rule effectively outside of a one in a hundred chance where the HQ unit successfully wins an assault from another unit? That’s when it came to me – the errata with mounted HQ units. The cool factor for mounted HQ is definitely there (although all other horses cost only 2 points compared to the 5 in the FAQ/errata if we are nitpicking). The ability for an HQ unit to keep up with a transport or other cavalry seems like it could do something useful. More than this though, a 3 man mounted unit, armed with pistols, tough fighters and fanatics (Hungary) is something that could actually plausibly make a difference making move. I doubt a question rarely pops up from some raving madman wanting to charge his HQ on horseback, hence why no specific answer yet exists for my question – the only unit that could plausibly pull this off with any degree of success is Hungary because of the fanatic rule.I’m just trying to find some way to actually use the rule (and look really good while doing it).

I’m awaiting Warlord’s reply from an official rules person. While I wait, I thought I’d ask y’all the same question.

TLDR: Hungarian Mounted HQ seems like it may not receive the same no-charging rule as “Hungarian Cavalry” RAW. This calls into question rules as written (RAW) vs rules as intended. What do y’all think?

Nat
    Participant

Personally I’d go with giving them the Unit rules of “hungarian Cavalry” If you paid the the 5 points to give them the horse….

I mean its not RAW for the officer to have the horse, so if you did give him one then its because he’s the officer of those sections (units) so why shouldnt he have those rules as well?

Richard
    Participant

Personally I’d not limit them, it’s specific to hungarian cavalry units, not hungarian mounted stuff in general.

However, I’d only allow it if the officer in question had a huge moustache.

Aaron Jahns
    Participant

Indeed, a proper Hungarian officer’s moustache must be as glorious as his charge!

Aaron Jahns
    Participant

Warlord official response:

“Regarding the Hungarian cavalry HQ, it would seem fair to allow them to assault while mounted (in other words, to exclude them from the Cavalry squads prohibition to charge into close quarters) – it seems reasonable that the impetuous Fanatic rule takes precedence! “

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.